EVGA 8800GT owners. Are you trading up?

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Just wondering if you guys will be trading up right away.

I think I might hold on for a while with the high hopes of something better coming by mid January, when my 90 days run out. What do you guys think? I've never done the trade up program before.

A 9800 by January is a long shot. An 8800GTS with more memory would be nice. What?? It could happen. :D

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I wont be trading anytime soon..Though i dont have the EVGA but rather the MSI version. Etheir way they get your old card and you get to spend 100+ more dollars for a slight increase in performance..Just doesnt seem worth it too me.
But if i was looking for a new card right now i would seriously consider it as an option.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
After looking at the anand review, I can't justify it. Evga wants $359 for the 8800GTS 512, so it would cost me $70 plus shipping for a 10-15% gain. Not a great deal.

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Using your one EVGA "step-up" for the 8800 GTS from the GT only makes sense if you don't yet have Crysis, whoch comes bundled with the card.

If that's the case, the effective cost of the actual card is closer to $300 and shipping can be cheap if you don't mind waiting (if you have a credit card, they can cross-ship so you don't have to send in your GT until the GTS arrives, which is cool).

The new card is about 15% faster and is quieter due to better stock fan design.

Here's the thing about that 15%. If you have COD4 or UT3, you are already playing maxed at crazy high FPS and you wouldn't even notice the 15%.

If you want to play Crysis on "Very High" and you are getting 20 FPS slide-show right now, you will just get a 23 FPS "slide-show" with the GTS. In other words, in most games it won't matter and in other games it won't be enough.

CONCLUSION:
Save your step-up for the D8E dual-gpu card in January, or wait to see if the GTS prices have come down after Christmas.

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
CONCLUSION:
Save your step-up for the D8E dual-gpu card in January, or wait to see if the GTS prices have come down after Christmas.
That would be worth the trade up!
Any more info on when?
I'll have to do some goggle'n, but does a dual gpu have any advantages over SLI? In Other words will a game have to be written to use a dual gpu like SLI?

Iim looking forward to the 9000 series. Any gossips yet??
Ryan
Me too, but the rumor is it wont be out until February which is past my trade up cut off date.

Anywho, I wont be trading mine in just yet. It's been working great with COD4. Although, I did just install Crysis. We'll see in a few minutes.

I don't know. If nothing better comes around by the end of my 90 days I'll either trade it in just for the sake of the better cooling on the GTS, or perhaps buy a better cooling option for the GT.

I guess an other option would be to buy the 9800 series when it comes out and sell the GT/GTS.

Please tell me more about the D8E cards if you have the time.

Thanks!

Learjet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
If you dont have Crysis, like me, then it is probably a good idea to upgrade. I purchased my GT on Oct28th and I dont have Crysis so its probably worth it?

I do have a question though..
if you have a credit card, they can cross-ship so you don't have to send in your GT until the GTS arrives, which is cool

How does that work? Using that feature would be really nice

According to the eVGA terms and conditions

Those who qualify for the Step-Up™ Program will be required to ship their old graphics card before EVGA will issue the upgrade video card. EVGA offers no cross-shipping on Step-Up™.

ganpachi

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
wait, you get crysis if you step up? I have a hard time believing that.

...even though I just got approved for a step up from my 8800 GTS 320mb. I figure the 512 is the card I would have bought if it had been out. If it had been a GT, though, yeah, prolly not.

TRENDING THREADS