ADSL router and PC cabling

Hello there..

i have a BT Business Hub 2700HGV which combines a broadband modem, router, hub and wireless access point.
and i want to connect it to my PC..

what kind of cable do i have to use? Cross cable or Straight through ?

I have also netgear DG834G wireless broadband router (5 in 1: Modem, router, firewall, 4-port switch & wireless access point ) .. if i use this do i need to use the same cable i use for the BT router above ?
here is the point i get confused... netgear is Modem+switch+router..

as far as i know for Router - PC ---> Cross cable
Switch - PC ---> Straight through
Hub - PC --->Straight through
Modem-PC ---->Straight through

based on those mixed combinations of ADSL routers what shall i use? :(

maybe i can use both cross and Straight through cables???

thanks in advance and truely apologise for my horrible english :)
5 answers Last reply
More about adsl router cabling
  1. Seems to me that you don't need any crossover here.

    In order of wiring:

    INTERNET ---- MODEM ---- ROUTER ---- SWITCH ---- HUB
    | | | | ||||
    WiFi link 3 PCs Any other devices

    Your best bet though would be to wire the devices in order of newness. Newest devices first. That netgear router probably has a NAT firewall to keep your network safe from sniffer worms.

    If I've read this right, your ISP is BT. They gave you a 2700HGV. It won't have any security features. By all means try out your netgear router and see if that can get you rolling.

    Start as follows:

    INTERNET --- MODEM & ROUTER --- your PC

    If that works, and you don't need any extra ports, then you R winner! If you need a few extra ports, then wire like so:

    INTERNET --- MODEM & ROUTER --- HUB --- your PC

    Of course if your netgear multi function box doesn't get you online, you'll end up with something like this

    INTERNET --- HUB(is also the Modem) --- ROUTER --- your PC

    Remember to keep your PCs and important stuff at the end of the chain.

    In all cases, use straight through cable. If you're short of straight through, your router might support a feature that allows you to utilise crossover instead. Worth a try, but only if you're stuck for a length of wire.
  2. Forgot to mention the OSI model there. Routers look at levels 0-3 up as far as the network layer, switches 0-2 up as far as the MAC address layer and hubs (being the dumbest but fastest) 0-1 up as far as the data layer.
  3. Hii

    first of all thnks for your help,

    i have forgot to mention that security or efficiency is not my concern..

    my concern is cabling!

    so let me clear that if i understand right, i can use straight through in all case and My router my have support for cross cable too?

    im so sorry its just soo confusing for me! :(
  4. Yeah, straight through all the way :)

    Check your router manual. I'll bet you can download it as a PDF and ctrl+f for 'crossover'. That'd tell you in about 6 minutes.
  5. well thank u very much for your help and those who r interested in the subject.
    i actually figured it out with some extra search in google, with the help of you.

    yeah we can use cross/straight through cable , doesnt really matter. the reason is todays ADSL modem+router+hub/switch devices comes with the technology called "Auto-MDIX".

    "Auto-MDIX, which stands for Automatic medium-dependent interface crossover, is a computer networking technology developed by HP. It automatically detects the required cable connection type (straight-through or crossover) and configures the connection appropriately, thereby obviating the need for crossover cables to interconnect switches or connecting PCs peer-to-peer. When it is enabled, either type of cable can be used and the interface automatically corrects any incorrect cabling. For Auto-MDIX to operate correctly, the speed on the interface and duplex setting must be set to "auto"."


    and one more thing .. i already checked the router manual and it doesnt say what kinda cable, says only "Ethernet cable"..

    also doesnt mention about auto-mdix(as this is a HP technology) .. but it mentions something similar to it.. and i suppose both means same..

    finalyy thnks again..

    was a great help..
Ask a new question

Read More

Broadband Routers Modem Cable Wireless Access Networking