video card no longer provides output

Hey,

Hopefully someone can help me with this maddening problem. I've got the following matx system setup:

Asus M2NPV-VM Socket AM2
Athlon 64 x2 brisbane 3600+ (stock hsf, no overclocking)
WD 200GB 7200RPM SATA HD
OCZ PC2 5300 2GB (2x1GB) RAM
DVDRW IDE
eVGA Geforce 7900GS KO PCI-E 16x
Apevia X-Qpack 2 mATX case with Apevia 500W PSU (dual 12V rails)
Vista Business

I've been having problems straight from the get-go with the 7900gs display intermittingly going blank (no output when computer boots), and also the display (not the computer itself) "freezing in place" at random. I was able to play FEAR and Oblivion other times with no apparent problems, but the card just stopped working altogether one day (the onboard video still works). So I did an RMA and received a (new) 7900gs, but a month later the same problem has rendered it non-functioning again. Could the problem component be the PSU? It seems generic but has fared pretty well review-wise on newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148027), so I'm really not quite sure wherein the problem lies. What else could be causing this problem? Can the PCI-E slot be defective or is it something else involving a different component?

TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about video card longer output
  1. Could be the motherboard or PSU. Could also be integrated graphics... did you disable them before popping in the new card? VGA cards and on-board graphics generally don't get along very well. *edit* You can also try a driver cleaner to make sure the old drivers are completely gone from the system before using the new card's drivers.

If it's the motherboard - it's very hard to troubleshoot with a duplicate board right there by your side.

If it's the PSU - Do you have the additional 6-pin power adapter plugged in? Is the VGA located on it's own rail? (ie. Is your PSU connected directly to your card or is there a fan, HDD, etc. plugged in on the same rail as the VGA?) Try isolating the card to it's own rail or even try a different rail to see if that helps any.
  2. futurecomp said:
    Apevia 500W PSU (dual 12V rails)

That may well be your problem. Apevia, formerly known as Aspire, is a tier 5 psu. Its not recommended for anything, unless you need a target at a rifle range. I went through this a few years ago when I bought an Aspire 680wt psu to power a SLi rig. There was immediately power problems. Research turned up that the 680wt rating was peak power, with a continuous rating or 380wts, far below what I needed. No telling what your Apivia 500wt really puts out. with a lack of power, your 7900 card may either not work at all, or will freeze up once the power requirement goes up.

For a psu tier list, look in the forums under power supplies and a sticky by Jake Barnes. At the bottom of the page will be a list of several links, including one for psu tier ratings. I'd advise looking for a tier 2 psu, unless you can afford a tier 1 psu.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product