Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Asus
  • Temperature
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
December 11, 2007 7:00:55 PM

EDIT::::: after Digital dragon posted::::::

Okay so the only issue I am having right now is that I can not read the temperature on the card. I get 0 degrees celsius in nvidia monitor, rivatuner and no option to view temperatures in the ASUS smart doctor. Yes it seems like I have a new version of the card as seen here: http://www.apocalypsecow.de/images/ASUS_8800GT_2.jpg

So yeah. The card works great in games.. just I would like to know the temperature because it would be sad if for some reason the fan were stuck at a low speed or something dumb.

/ END EDIT

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=442&l4=0...

alright so I bought an Asus 8800GT 512 meg GPU..

and it looks nothing like on the website!

EDIT THIS IS WHAT MY CARD LOOKS LIKE changed this after a few replies:
http://www.apocalypsecow.de/images/ASUS_8800GT_2.jpg

but the card itself is huge like a 8800GT and in windows dxdiag and system properties it says it's a 8800GT and all .. i just find the whole thing really confusing?

I bought this card brand new from a store down my street.

Also .. why does it say on the box that it's DDR3 and not GDDR3 .. ?? does this asus 8800GT suck in comparison to say evga or xfx or whatever?

More about : asus en8800gt mine pictures online

December 11, 2007 7:38:46 PM

The fans have been redesigned. You apparently have one of the new cards. Asus is a good brand. Nice card. :wahoo: 
December 11, 2007 7:50:49 PM

hey thanks for the quick reply! one other thing I find strange is that in the NVIDIA monitor it says my GPU temperature is 0c.

Same thing in other programs like rivatuner .. Any idea why it's not reading the temperature? (it used to just fine on my old 6600 GT)
Related resources
December 11, 2007 8:27:05 PM

The temp sensor may be broken. I haven't seen it happen often, but I don't see why it couldn't go bad.
December 11, 2007 9:04:39 PM

DDR3 is the same as GDDR3, not in the ram sense, but if it shows DDR3 in relation to a GFX that its just basically stating that its GDDR3 no worries.
December 11, 2007 9:10:04 PM

:/  i should return it?

also .. i thought it was weird how the pci-e 6 pin connector on my power supply couldn't fit into the gpu.. one of the square plug things was square and on the card and angled bottoms.. so it wouldn't fit but the card came with one of those molex to 6pin pci-e things so I had to use that instead of the one of my power supply ... antec sonata II 450 watt. it was weird.. any opinion on that?
December 11, 2007 9:57:56 PM

lol!! you guys are really helpful! I am just very paranoid! I want it to be perfect. To be honest I feel kind of like an idiot for spending this much on a graphics card.. last time the most i spent was 200.

THIS IS WHAT MY CARD LOOKS LIKE:::
http://www.apocalypsecow.de/images/ASUS_8800GT_1.jpg
December 11, 2007 10:25:42 PM

The card you have looks like the cooling is better. I would keep it.
December 12, 2007 1:45:58 AM

thats the same HS on the ASUS 8800GT 1GB card, the HS looks sweet but abit nekid hahaha
December 12, 2007 2:02:27 AM

update! i still can't figure out how to read the temperature on my card!
December 12, 2007 2:58:23 AM

As long as it shows up in Device Manager as an 880GT I would keep it. The cooling on that one looks better than the 8800GT I have. As far as temp goes you can try the nTune software fron Nvidia and also look at Riva Tuner. Both are free and should help you out.
December 12, 2007 4:21:04 AM

Well i even installed ASUS smart doctor to view the temperature .. and still nothing. so it looks like rivatuner ntune and the asus one gives zero temp readings.. I emailed Asus about this. So we'll see.
December 12, 2007 5:05:16 AM

Ok that isn't the "redesigned" stock cooler, that's Asus's cooler. Since the cooler is different, and I think the PCB is different, there's a good chance Asus didn't include a temp sensor for some stupid reason. I would contact Asus tech support to get to the bottom of it.
December 12, 2007 6:46:15 PM

I have 512 megs of ram on this card. and yes my card looks just like it.

So i e-mailed Asus about this asking this question and this is what i got back? I'm not sure if they even read my question...? ( i did not email the RMA department.. i emailed support on their website)
Quote:

thank you for your support of our products!

If your ASUS product needs to be repaired or exchanged, first try to exchange the item with your vendor. If this is not possible, you will need to contact our RMA department for assistance. There are three ways to contact them:

1) If you have Internet access, you can visit this website:

http://helpdesk.asus.com

Click on the ASUS RMA Online link, and re! quest an RMA

2) Send an e-mail to:

RMA@asus.com

Please include your name, mailing address, telephone number, and the serial number of your product.

3) If you are in the USA or Canada, call our RMA department at 510-739-3777 option 3. Please have the serial number of your ASUS product handy when you call.

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance in this matter please contact our RMA department.
December 13, 2007 3:40:51 AM

Does the store have the exact same card in stock ? If so I'd exchange it . Too many problems including the plug issue . If they don't notify the store manager about it and tell him you want it exchanged as soon as they get one . That card should be showing the temp ! And that plug should not be screwy .... sounds like you got one of a bad batch !
December 13, 2007 6:16:50 AM

* All specifications are subject to change without notice. Please check with your supplier for exact offers. Products may not be available in all markets.
* PCB color and bundled software versions are subject to change without notice.
* Brand and product names mentioned are trademarks of their respective companies.
December 13, 2007 6:19:59 AM

Hi doublehats, I have spoken two times to the Asus Support in Germany. At the first call they told me to use nTune or Everest at the second call they told me that they have no experience with that card because the have no one there :( 
Do you give the card back?

December 13, 2007 7:01:59 AM

Followed this over here from the Asus forum. Mine works fine. I had no trouble with the PCIE connector, but I get no temp readings either. It just says 0.0C in any monitoring programs I tried. I replaced the cooler with an Accellero S1 and used some extra Zalman heatsinks I had for the mosfets.

I couldn't help but notice that this card was pulled from Newegg a day or two after I bought mine. The card would also not accept the bios update flash.
December 13, 2007 7:44:19 AM

Hi,

I don't know about that but if the card uses the temp to change the fan speed, i could be an issue that the temp is always 0°c.

Bye
December 13, 2007 8:01:31 AM

I think this is the "redesigned" fan that ASUS claims to get 5-7% lower temperatures than the stock one.
December 14, 2007 5:56:07 AM

I am really torn. I like the heatsink .. but I don't like how I can't read the temp.. I feel like exchanging this for a bfg or xfx.
December 14, 2007 11:01:31 AM

I'm very happy to get the new glacier fan but what I'd like to know is how Asus expect the fan to regulate itself if there is no temp sensor on board? Or maybe the fan is set to 100%? Can you guys set your fan speeds or is it greyed out? It would be a tragedy if the fan speed were something like 29% and you couldn't increase it then your card would burn out very quickly. I haven't got a compatible m/b yet so I can't test mine.
December 14, 2007 8:58:35 PM

I can not see or change the fan speed. same with temperature. I feel the same as you user555. I am happy with the glacier fan but the no temp reading makes me concerned.
December 14, 2007 9:40:30 PM

I just ordered an Asus 8800 GT, but already have a Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 cooler for it...

not sure if my GT has old or new cooler yet... should be here in the morning :) 

if the new cooler, I wouldn't want to run it without RAM heat sinks though...

will let you know if its the new one if my Temp sensor works ;) 
December 15, 2007 5:50:02 AM

cool thanks!
December 15, 2007 6:34:20 AM

I have spoken to Asus Support again. They told me that it is a nVidia driver problem :??:  and there is no facility to get informations about the temp in the next time. A Thermal Sensor is certainly on the card!

I think that the dude at the Hotline told a lot of rubbish.

Sorry for my bad english :) 

regards from germany :hello: 
December 15, 2007 6:56:34 AM

4WD I really, really appreciate that information if it's true. I was thinking of possible driver issues because Asus would make a laughing stock of themselves if they forgot or didn't include a fan and sensor monitor with a top end model like the 8800GT and yet have it on all their lower models!! That sounds more believable than Asus just forgot or something like that.

I rang my retailer and they said that someone had returned the card because of this. I feel sorry for them even if it's not the drivers because the cooler is one of the much better ones and you will want a very good cooler on this card.

I'm sure that we'll get this issue sorted out in time. The card's just been released, especially the new cooler so we have to give them a bit of a chance to get the issues sorted out. Still think I got more than my money's worth.
December 15, 2007 9:14:26 AM

hehee =)

my Asus 8800GT just arrived ^__^

has the new cooler - looks great!

seems almost a shame to swap it out for the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 I also bought.

ahh..... :( 

just noticed the S1 cooler (Arctic site says fits 8800GT) is going to be a problem to fit to the Asus...

The supplied voltage regulator HS is in no way going to fit on this card - are components where the installation pics show screw holes are meant to be + the extra components are too high to allow it to just be stuck in place...

AND, to make matters worse, the great looking Asus V.reg HS is too high to let me fit the S1 - though I think if I butcher the cooling fins on the S1 above the Asus V.reg HS I think I can make it fit :) 

always knew I'd need one of those Dremel thingies one day :sarcastic: 

Also the supplied S1 RAM sinks (not very high) will not fit under the Asus GPU fan...

So for now a test run as is...
December 15, 2007 11:06:58 AM

hmm... I hiope you are right bout it just being a driver issue...

my Asus 8800GT with the new cooler also has no temp readings...

I used the default driver from the Installation CD this time.

Maybe the one from NVidia's site works with the temp sensor...?
as Asus's own progies seem to have no temp readings - maybe why they left it out of their own driver...?

may try later after a play :) 
December 16, 2007 4:39:31 AM

Pailin said:
hehee =)

my Asus 8800GT just arrived ^__^

has the new cooler - looks great!

seems almost a shame to swap it out for the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 I also bought.

ahh..... :( 

just noticed the S1 cooler (Arctic site says fits 8800GT) is going to be a problem to fit to the Asus...

The supplied voltage regulator HS is in no way going to fit on this card - are components where the installation pics show screw holes are meant to be + the extra components are too high to allow it to just be stuck in place...

AND, to make matters worse, the great looking Asus V.reg HS is too high to let me fit the S1 - though I think if I butcher the cooling fins on the S1 above the Asus V.reg HS I think I can make it fit :) 

always knew I'd need one of those Dremel thingies one day :sarcastic: 

Also the supplied S1 RAM sinks (not very high) will not fit under the Asus GPU fan...

So for now a test run as is...

The ASUS voltage regulator heatsink won't fit under the S1, and the one included with the S1 is designed for the ATI X1900 series. I had used some Zalman heatsinks on the ram and used the two extra sticky pads included with those to stick some of the S1's included heatsinks to the voltage regulators. Works like a champ.
December 16, 2007 9:19:07 AM

ah yes, you are right - no supplied HS for the 8800 series at all.

am about to cut up my S1 today and Make it fit with the Asus V.reg HS !

Has anyone heard of a potential fix for the temp read outs from Asus's 8800GT yet....?

I had a little search last night and found nothing really helpful, basically:

wasn't driver issue

or

BIOS (according ot someone who had a look at the BIOS - but who knows his tech lvl)

and

Asus don't know the cause yet...

Would love to hear some helpful news :) 
December 16, 2007 10:24:28 AM

It looks that on the EN8800GT TOP/G/HTDP/512M (the OC Version) it is possible to read out the temps.
December 17, 2007 1:57:00 PM

If there's no temp sensor on the card then the fan MUST be set at 100% otherwise they must release a bios or driver update to be able to change the fan speeds. I can't see how the fan speeds would be set at 29% to be elevated when the card reaches 70 degrees if there was no temp sensor to know when the card had reached 70 degrees. (as was suggested at another forum)

The wost scenario would be that it is an engineering fault and in that case Asus would have to issue an RMA or recall. I just want to be sure in that case that I get a new product as I haven't even taken my card out of it's packing yet.
December 17, 2007 2:25:05 PM

I'm always concerned when the heatsinks do not cover the memory modules, especially in regards to any "high performance" card.
December 18, 2007 10:12:12 AM

My reply from Asus:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Support Department .
As to the question you consulted:
Please help us confirm whether BIOS and latest Smartdoc
(you can download at:
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/SmartDoc5081.z...)
can read the card's temperature or not.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused you.
Best wish you have a great Merry X'mas and a wonderful Happy New Year 2008

What's the use in this? Would I have contacted Asus if the latest updates worked? Don't they check their own products to verify that they do work with their own PC's? If they got a hold of the new model and installed it in one of their own PC's they could find out for themselves.Apparently they haven't checked it out themselves so that's why we're getting stupid replies like 'have we installed the latest bios and Smartdoc'?

How long is it going to take Asus to wake up?
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2007 10:52:57 AM

Heh at the end of the day the card works right? Plays games, performs like other 8800GT's and is stable - i wouldnt worry about some crap temp sensor that reads temps way off anyhow ;) 
December 18, 2007 9:42:59 PM

I wish it were that simple. Without a temp sensor the fans won't speed up during 3D games which will overheat and damage the card. Unless there is a way to be able to adjust the fan speeds for intensive games the card will burn out in no time so it's not safe to do anything with these cards except surf the net until the fan adjustments work.

The only one advantage is the larger cooler which may help keep it cooler than a normal 8800GT.
December 19, 2007 8:43:00 AM

Anyone in the mood for some GOOD NEWS???

Latest reply from Asus today:

Dear Valued Customer,
I have contact our RD engineer.
This card is adopted special thermal senser, we will release a new version of Smartdoctor in this 2 or 3 days, which can read the temperature of this card.
Would you please wait for a couple of days?
Apologise for all the inconvenience caused you.
It would be wonderful if the above information can help you.For any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.
Best wish you have a great Merry X'mas and a wonderful Happy New Year 2008!

Let's hope this is true
December 19, 2007 11:59:28 AM

That sounds Great news ^^

I have an S1 Accelero and wanted to get some B4 and after temps before I fit it etc... then OC and be able to keep an eye on things

Apparently this card uses a new PCB whereas the others are all the reference design and does of course have a temp sensor as just confirmed by user555's Asus response.

Would be better if there was a BIOS update fixing it so all progies can see the temp rather than jut their own Smart Doc
But a reading anywhere is good :) 

Any of you guys having probs with the "Gamer OSD" thing?
I can't get it up in games at all and in windows I just get an unframed web like "Page cannot be displayed" when I try to start it... ??
December 19, 2007 1:07:32 PM

Xazax310 said:
DDR3 is the same as GDDR3, not in the ram sense, but if it shows DDR3 in relation to a GFX that its just basically stating that its GDDR3 no worries.

That's not true. Some companies release cards with 512MB DDR2 instead of 256 GDDR2 or GDDR3 because it's cheaper and people think it'll run better because it has more memory, but the end result is that it's slower because it's regular DDR2, not GDDR2.
December 19, 2007 8:21:35 PM

Apparently Asus in the specs for all their cards list DDR3 under 'video memory' which I'm sure they mean GDDR. It's just the way they state it but they mean the same thing. Even their TOP model is listed as having 'DDR 3' 'Video memory which is GDDR3 as the G means 'Graphics'.
December 20, 2007 1:58:10 PM

Latest update:

For this card use specal sensor, please use lastest SmartDoc to V5.084 to see the temperature.Download link:
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/SmartDoc5084.z...
(It is already uploaded, while may be need 2 or 3 days to sync)
As to the fan control issue, please refer to the attached 2 pictures and help us confirm which one model is yours?
If it is the first one, please try to adjust fan speed with SmartDoc.
December 20, 2007 2:46:57 PM

Nice one, thanks for the link mate :) 

D'loading now - Asus sites always slow though >_<

3.47kb a sec LOL
December 20, 2007 3:54:43 PM

hmmm

their site is So bad I cannot download this file, keeps timing out >_<

If someone manages to download this can they pop it up somewhere like http://www.filebucket.net

Will do the same If I get there 1st ;) 

thanks
December 21, 2007 1:51:49 AM

I opened an account at filebucket but it wouldn't let me upload the zip file unless it contained only graphic files so I'm sorry about that.

You'll have to just keep trying or wait until it appears on the Asus site.

December 21, 2007 6:34:18 AM

Any feedback? Are you getting temp readings and can you adjust your fans yet? Please let me know either way so I can inform Asus. My card's not installed yet so I can't give Asus any feedback unless someone here let's me know if it works now.
December 21, 2007 7:52:18 AM

Thanks to your help user555 my panic is finally over!! Got temp readings but still no fan control at all, my card is the revised one with the goldish cooler
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest