INTEL Q9300 cooling?

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Hello I have posted earlier about the Thermaltake beetle and how it would perform on a Intel Q9300. Well I dot the Pc now and would just like to mention how it is performing...

My current computer is :
Intel Core 2 quad Q9300 2.5ghz cpu
GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS5 crossfire motherboard
4GIG DDR2 800mhz ram
250gig Hard drive
Gigabyte Radeon 3870 512mb
And of course the Thermaltake Beetle cooler

Built everything up last night and put the beetle on(Very difficult if you buy one dont attach the screws on the motherboard first youll end up battling for hours)
Just for hell without any real intentions of overclocking now I changed the FSB from 333mhz to 400mhz...Changing the speed for 2.5ghz to 3.0ghz...and I just changed the fan speed from 1600rpm to 2000rpm...(It can go up to 4300rpm) to my surpise under a large load I put it on the temperature didnt even break 30c...Well I did only just install everything and Ill try to upload some pics later...But in idel mode the CPU is about 19c on 2000rpm if I change the fan speed to 4300rpm it only changes to 16c.
Under a test I did just to see how QUAD core runs I started EASY TUNE 5 PRO which I got with the M/B and just to keep track of temps...I opened Unreal Tournament 3(windowed),the Unreal Tournament 3 level editor,a divx movie,Crysis(windowed) and just GPU-Z to check the graphics card. I compiled a map while I played Crysis in windowed mode(crysis is running on HIGH quality) and Crysis ran fine could finish the first section and the CPU temp was only 29c. Now this is actual temps what I would like to know is this good? Because I feel it is very good.

Just for interest when I start up crysis 1.2 and without doing anything change all the settings to High and then do a Benchmark test I get 56fps in graphics mode,55fps in CPU 1 mode, 31fps in CPU2 is this good dont really know benchmarks. I also have a POINT OF VIEW GEFORCE 8800GT 512mb and it only gets 52fps. This is strange because I was made to believe the Radeon 3870 is slower than the Geforce 8800gt. But I bought both. The geforce is to replace the Radeon 1950pro I have on my Intel 6400...and I must say from what I can gather my Radeon 3870 is beter than my Geforce 8800gt...

Any other thoughs on this?

(I dont really do benchmarks because if a computer runs it runs to me. First time I built a real gaming computer. I have built and repaired computers most of my life but this is my first real gaming computer)

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I used Realtemp and it gave me 120c...So I took thermal strip and place it around the cpu on and around the heatsink...That gave me a temp of 25c in idle...Didnt test under load or anything...So I dont know I'll just enjoy the CPU as it was intended to be...

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
you need to run prime95 to get the maximum load temp.not even games will load it at 100% because you using stock voltage.so your system maybe unstable,but because you havent put it on full load so its not freezing or crashes.

slush_poepie

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
ok did a bios update on the Motherboard then I ran prime95 for 2 hours...Temps were 48c in Realtemp and stability was normal...This is without adjusting the voltage or anything. So what else do I need to test?