AMD lives on!?

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The spyder platform is one heck of a catchy name. What I want to know and disect here is if the spyder platform is all that it's cracked up to be.

I cant help think about what a purley high performance system made up of all AMDs parts will look like and perform like. In other words is it enough to play the best games, is it enough to compete with the mighty intel giant?

I'm thinking that an MSI platinum 790FX, (2) 3870 in crossfire and a 9600 cpu really is going to be something impressive and special.

Honestly... for the price right now I think that this system is going to be the next best thing in the PC enthusiast market. Intel better watch out! Or does everyone think AMD has a run for their money!?

Lets discuss this and here everyones biased opinions!

DrMaV

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Spider is great, but still needs a lot of work with both the phenoms and the 3800s.

However, I believe they are stepping in the right direction.

I waited a year for this to come out, only to lose patience and go with the Q6600 and X38 with 8800gt, since my 3870s have not come in yet either.

I will tell you this, I get 14,318 '06 score with 1 GPU. If spider can do this, at the same price or better, then I will be more than happy to switch over.

I'm a performance fan regardless of who gives it.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
AMD's CPU's cannot compete with Intel at the moment. They are a step (or maybe a couple) behind. Everyone waited in anticipation for AMD's new flagship CPU's only to be disappointed by them.A catchy platform name doesn't mean alot if the performance sucks.

bstep1989

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Yes, AMD has failed with the Phenom launch with the L3 bug, however once this problem is fixed these new cpus should perform very close to and surpass the Q6600 in the price/performance category. And AMD did not release the current and limited lineup of Phenom CPUS to compete with the highest end models of the C2D lineup...

Think Spider platform with the revamped SB700 chip, PhenomFX, 3+ GPUS , and high speed memory...

to me that would be one hell of a platform that would compete with just about any Intel/Nvidia setup around at this time...

but who knows, 45nm Intels and new Nv boards with the G92 in a GTX/Ultra form...that would probably kick the ass of any platform as now now too...

and can't IBM or Texas Instruments buy AMD already, and make them competitive, i love the competition of two companies, and the resources of either of those two companies would surely help AMD speed up their manufacturing process as well as shrinking the die and increase their yields for even cheaper prices for consumers...

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I think that AMD will turn around sales and such here in the coming year. AMD was on top of the world not much more than a year ago. They had the FX-62 that intel just couldnt compete with... now the tables have obviously turned. I think that the tables will yet again turn within the next year. There is so much speculation!

The spyder platform is going to be a flavorful marketing strategy for AMD/ATI. I think that the big name companies are going to realize that and start selling them that way. It wont be too much longer before dell, hp and other companies start offering up these platforms.

I like the 790FX so much better right now then the x38. I cant wait to read some reviews but to me it sounds like this mobo is going to be around so much longer than the x series from intel. Intel cannot put out greatness until nvidia allows them to have sli support. This 790FX has everything that an enthusiast would dream of. Crossfire support, support for am2+ and future quad core tech and not to mention quad crossfire support next year. Yes we are soon going to see a gaming machine have support for up to four gpu's and not to mention that they are going to be utilized by games in the coming year or two.

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005

I don't think it's fair to reduce AMD to "AMD sucks". Sure, they've been counter-punched by the blue-crew pretty hard, but they still have a chance. I sincerely hope that AMD and Intel remain competitive and continue to trade blows without one or the other ever being knocked out. The competition means more choice and lower prices for the enthusiast and general consumer markets.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I agree... It's imperative for intel to have competition so that they continue to reduce their prices... My "amd sucks" comes from a bitterness from having to choose intel over amd because... well... it's a better product. I do however hope that amd get's bought by IBM so that they can remain competative and also still remain close to top with ATI vs. Nvidia... that's a close competition right now!