MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Hey guys-first off, I'm planning on using this motherboard, and it says that is supports only one IDE device. (Which, I take it, is the same as PATA?)
I was planning on using my old PATA hard drive in my new system, and I thought I was going to buy a DVD burner. But the ones I see say IDE!

So my overall question is-I can't have both a PATA hard drive and a DVD drive in the same PC with this motherboard?! If this is true-is there any solution to this?

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Whew! Thanks for your help. I also just found out that DVD drives can also connect SATA-is there a benefit to this besides it not taking up precious IDE space?

GarmaZed

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The only real noticeable benefit would be more air flow with the SATA cable instead of the ribbon IDE (if you don't have those bundled cables instead).

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I can't have both a PATA hard drive and a DVD drive in the same PC with this motherboard?! If this is true-is there any solution to this?
No - you don't want your HD and burner on the same controller!
Get a SATA HD, they are inexpensive, ie. WD 250GB/16MB @ $69.
Or get a SATA burner, they are everywhere now (in the last couple of months)...
Regards

KekaiGenkai

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
If it helps to add to what others have said, I currently have an old-school IDE hard drive and a DVD burner on a single IDE motherboard input and have never had any problems. SATA is a little better for airflow, but you can find wrapped cables that are thinner than the pita ribbon.

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
No - you don't want your HD and burner on the same controller!
Why do you say that? I am planning on getting a SATA hard drive, actually, but I plan on still using my IDE one-unless there would be a problem. Most people say it isn't a problem, though-why would it hurt to have them on the same controller?

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
why would it hurt to have them on the same controller?
Because, typically when you burn something, your harddisk reads and your burner writes. Job goes fast.
But when they are sharing the same controller (and cable) the HD can read, or the burner can write - but not both at the same time. Not good for speed (or accuracy). Lucky actually if it works at all...
Now these days, big sturdy rigs with huge fast harddisks and dual-core CPUs could probably make this unfortunate setup work okay... but still doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.
All new mobos have lots of SATA channels now, and actually on my P965 mobo, you can't even install an OS to the PATA harddisk. You need F6 drivers to even see the PATA HD! Thank goodness it still sees a PATA burner okay...
My advice: I have had 'issues' with SATA burners, and I'm sticking to PATA for now. So just grab a SATA HD, they're fantastic.
L8R

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I see-well then I guess I'll be looking for a SATA DVD-rom drive, because I plan on keeping my old PATA HD connected so I can back stuff up.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Or Max, another option for you, I believe they also sell an add in card for a PCI slot which would give you the extra IDE channel that you need. Might be something to look into for a cheap solution as well.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If you are buying a DVD just buy a SATA one, it's a no brainer. You can use the DVD and the hard drive on the same channel. The problem is that the DVD is slower than the HD so if you are using them at the same time the HD throughput will be slower. But it will work and not cause a nuclear meltdown. I assume you are going to use the new SATA as the OS drive so no problems with regards to the Jmicron etc. controller. But again I say buying a PATA DVD instead of a SATA DVD is just foolish.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I say grab the SATA dvd drive, if for no other reason than the next MB you buy might not have a PATA at all. Both on the same channel works, I'm doing it myself, but it isn't "ideal", and as you are buying a new drive, getting a SATA isn't anymore expensive, so why not? I've never had issues with a SATA dvd drive by the way.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Actually, this was one of the issues I had encountered - SATA DVD was rip-locked to 2x speed :fou:
Old PATA DVD rips @ ~8-10x, no problem, heheh...
Also, SATA optical drives and some AHCI controllers are not friendly. I recommend all SATA controllers in IDE mode unless running a RAID array! The AHCI features (NCQ and hot-swapping) are beneficial only to servers, anyway.
Sure you could keep your existing PATA harddisk and have a PATA burner slaved to it, no worries.
But ideally that would not be your main OS harddisk. It would make a fine storage disk, and you could still burn from it at need, but always better to have individual devices on their own controllers if you are burning a lot of stuff.
Two harddisks on the same cable (same controller), from a performance point of view, are like a single harddisk that has been partitioned... in other words, no use moving your page file for performance reasons - it wouldn't help.
L8R

LkS

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
It will work as long the HDD is the master on the IDE channel, but if possible you really should try to give the HDD you boot windows from its own channel, SATA or IDE. If you want to hook up your old HDD for storage, put it as a slave on the IDE channel and make the DVD burner master.

The simplest solution is to just get a SATA DVD so that it can have its own channel and so can the HDD. Every device you buy from now on should be SATA anyway, IDE is obsolete.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That's a P35 Chipset he's using. You run the SATA in IDE mode anyway not AHCI, as you said. So why confuse him?

TRENDING THREADS