Fans Installation

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Hi all

I'm building my new PC and faced this problem
I have Lian Li case with 4 fans having (3 pin) connectors + adaptor to (4 pin molex)
Ultra 120 extreme HS with Scythe S-Flex SFF21F cooling fan
So total 5 fans
Asus Rampage Formula has 6 on board fan connectors (3 pin)+CPU fan connector(4 Pin)
Scythe S-Flex SFF21F connector is (3 pin)+(4 pin molex adaptor) and can not be connected to (3 pin )CPU fan connector on mobo
Of course my power supply has enough (4 Pin) molex connectors
What shall I do??
Connect Scythe S-Flex SFF21F cooling fan to the Power Supply connector and bypass mobo ??
Connect all other 4 fans again directly to power supply molex connectors and bypass mobo ??
I will not be using any mobo fan connector !!!
I ckecked mobo manual and installatin guide but nothing mentioned !!
Can anybody help please
I'm stuck here with all thigs on the floor :cry:

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I would think that as long as you don't mind running the Scythe at full speed all the time the molex would be fine. Unless the BIOS wont let the system come up without a cpu fan connected to the cpu pins. If it does come up disable the smart fan control in the BIOS.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

This what I'm worried about
Cause normally system will not boot if CPU fan is not connected and detected

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

you can disable that inside your bios...
so it will just ignore your CPU fan speed.

halcyon

Splendid

I use a Lian-Li case and a Rampage Formula (see my sig) too. I use 4 Scythe S-Flex SFF21D fans and two Antec 3-speed fans, and the 4-pin PWM CPU fan. I'm not sure I understand your dilemma, am I misreading something in your post? The Scythe's 3 pin fan connectors can connect to the motherboard. Just connect some of the 3-pin fans you can to the mobo and connect the others to the 4-pin Molex. That's what I did, works fine. I know you may give up fan-speed control but are the 21F's noisy?

EDIT: Just saw some of the latest posts. On the Rampage Formula you can do a couple of things. You can connect a 3-pin fan to the mobo's CPU fan header, it'll just run @ full blast. You can also disable the CPU fan warning.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
MadHacker: Thanks

halcyon:Thanks a lot
I googled CPU FAN PWM and found the fourth pin PWM is pulse width modulation. It uses pulses of the full voltage and some people are bending it even to disable its function
However this what I will do
Connect CPU fan to mobo adaptor forgetting PWM pin
Connect 2 case fans to CHA FAN 1 and CHA FAN 2 on mobo
Connect another 2 case fans to OPT FAN 1 and OPT FAN 2 on mobo
And see what will happen

Thanks guys