Chorus/NTL (a UPC company) Cable TV box has an ethernet port

authoratah

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Pace_621KU&go=Go

Got one of these the other day. Sorry I couldn't link the picture directly, but the smiley code kicked in. What I'd like to know concerns the Ethernet port. The box config settings say it has a MAC address, but no IP address. It can also see my Chorus/NTL (a UPC company) Cable Modem.

Quirky part is that the max addresses of both devices are concurrent. The modem ends with b5, the box ends with b6. And there was me thinking MAC addresses were hardware assigned and rather difficult to change.

Facts of the matter:
1. The cable TV set top box from Chorus/NTL (a UPC company) appears to be able to see the cable modem up the stairs.
2. The cable TV set top box from Chorus/NTL (a UPC company) can detect the IP address and MAC address of the cable modem in addition to what it knows about itself.
3. The cable TV set top box has a MAC address, but no IP address.
4. The cable modem upstairs has both of these
5. Plugging in a length of crossover cable out from the TV box to a laptop didn't even light up the network detection icon. Pings failed. I'd guess the lack of an IP address would be the cause there. :na:

Questions to be answered:
1. What's that Ethernet port for?
2. If my evil twin shows up, what sort of nefarious schemes would likely occur?
3. Is it true that sticking a magnet under there will unlock the Playboy channel? :pt1cable: :kaola:
4. Was I using the right type of cable?
5. Can I assign an IP address to my set top box?
6. How?

Cheers for any insights. I'm about a CCNA myself, but I've never owned a set top box before. Getting the whole enchilada in will certainly test my wiring skills over the next few days

Supplementary question:
How many old fashioned PSTN phones can you run from a standard eircom phone jack before power becomes a problem? I've done about 4 myself using copper wire aged 50 years old. Do we have any RJ-12 mavens around? NTL are set to save me a fair bit after I agree to use their fire optic cables for my phone calls. I sure hope they'll be encrypted VoIP

XVar

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I'm on Telewest in the UK and the ethernet port on the back of my set top box can be used in place of a cable modem, for speeds up to 10mbit. However it's disabled by default and has to be enabled by the cable company.