Need to know the name of a part

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
From the power supply to the mobo, a 4 pin, 12 volt atx connector.

It will not reach beside my cpu so I cant turn it on, I need a male/female extender but I have no clue what they are called. Bestbuy had no clue what I am talking about, and I have had no luck with computer shops. Does it have an actual name?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

It's a 4 Pin Extension cable for the ATX12V Line. It's the CPU Power Cable. Let me see if I can find you one.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4640

Best Buy is HORRIBLE for computer parts.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
ehh..I'd just say 4 pin atx12v extension. If they didn't understand what I was talking about, I'd explain it in best buy terms..

"You know when you put together a pc, you have to connect those two power cables to the mobo, one tiny one that has 4 little pins in the shape of a sqaure, and one long ass rectangular one?...I need an extension for the 4 pin one.."

If that doesn't work. bring a screwdriver, open one of their cases around, and point at it...LOL..I like this scenario the best..

Besides those 2 ideas, go to somewhere that has a better chance of having it, Best buy is garbage most of the time for products like this. CompUSA (before they close down), Fry's, or just order off the internet.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Does your psu have the 4 pin to begin with or does it just have the 20/24 pin? The exttra four on the 20/24 wont work. I'm guessing your PSU doesn't have the 4 pin 12 volt atx connector you need. Sounds like time to get a new PSU.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Im not so sure he has it. If his mobo is 20 pin and hes trying to use the extra four from it ya it wont reach. Every PSU that does have a 4 pin is atleast 7 inches long and most case have the psu right over the cpu. I could be wrong but only he can confirm it.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Having read his other post, I know he has a CM 690. Knowing that case, the PSU mounts in the bottom. Most PSUs don't have cables long enough to reach the ATX12V connection on the motherboard.

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
cnumartyr is correct

I do have the 20/4 that will go into the atx spot, but the one that goes to the cpu will not reach. I didnt know if I could find this at a place like best buy since its just a cable, or if I had to go to a computer shop. Ive had this sytem for 2 days, but I am a noob so taking it slow (hour or two a night is all i have anyways) so I dont screw anything up. I should be ready tonight and want to fire it up!!!! I dont want to wait 2 days for a 3 dollar part to be shipped lol :)

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I have heard both ways.

Guy at a shop said he is leaving me wires adn I can use butt connectors to rig it myself

I do think I am just going to order it though

alzarius

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Video card, I will install tomorrow when I get extender for ATX plugin. I think, and this should actually be my last question, P9. What is the P9? It looks like the thing I used to plug into a floppy drive