Sign in with
Your question

2 cores at 70C when Prime95 after OC... that ok?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 2, 2008 11:33:30 PM

Q9450.

Original thread before OC'ing: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250013-28-q9450

I OC'd to 3.0, I believe it to be stable. BIOS CPU voltage: 1.175V

After 3 min of a "Torture Test" with Prime95 my last two cores hit 70-71C (3rd core had been there for about 1.5 min already).

I stopped that test, still have it at 3.0ghz (stock 2.66, 375 fsb on the 8x mult)

I'm basically wondering if it would be possible to run this at a lower voltage and see if it will lower my temperature.

So my main question: Is there a way to know what my min voltage can be running this without actually using trial and error?

If it matters: 4gb 1000mhz DDR2 RAM (Auto put it at 900 mhz in BIOS after upping FSB (from 800) figured I'd leave it?)
I'd like to get it at least to 1000 since thats what I payed for :p  (timings 5-5-5-15)

More about : cores 70c prime95

May 2, 2008 11:45:43 PM

That temperature is far too high for Q9450 @ 3.0ghz. Get a better cooler.
May 2, 2008 11:48:37 PM

My cooler is great (supposedly)
Xigmatek HDT-S1283

The problem is the first two cores are within reason (I guess?)
and the second two cores are much higher.
Related resources
May 2, 2008 11:54:47 PM

Shocking said:
My cooler is great (supposedly)
Xigmatek HDT-S1283

The problem is the first two cores are within reason (I guess?)
and the second two cores are much higher.

The few degree difference is due to 2 different temperature sensors. It should be actually the same, or nearly the same temperature.

Try to reset the cooler. If I remember it correctly, the Xigmatek use pushpins, which is not ideal. It's the reason I decided to use another cooler, despite overwhelmingly good reviews.
May 2, 2008 11:57:39 PM

I think some Penryns have some thermal sensor issues. My new e7200 will not go under 52c no matter what. I've even tried different coolers, and different thermal pastes. When temps hit 73 74c in prime she throttles back to one core. Currently running artic freezer 7 with artic silver 5 60c idle at 3.5. I bought a OEM and it said it was M0 stepping and I recieced a C0 stepping.

From reviews that I've seen the M0 works like its supposed to and the C0 runs hotttt! My next one will be a retail CPU, hopefully it will be a M0.
May 3, 2008 12:01:29 AM

yes ive heard the thermal sensor issues as well

I dont think my comp is stable at these settings o.O

My comp decided to freeze... didnt auto-restart or black screen or anything, just sorta froze.

Is that due to my overclocking? If so what do I need to do? Increase voltages?

I've emailed Intel's tech support for whatever good that will do. I bought my processor OEM off eBay so I'm not sure what I can do as far as RMA lol.
May 3, 2008 12:03:57 AM

Shocking said:
yes ive heard the thermal sensor issues as well

I dont think my comp is stable at these settings o.O

My comp decided to freeze... didnt auto-restart or black screen or anything, just sorta froze.

Is that due to my overclocking? If so what do I need to do? Increase voltages?

I've emailed Intel's tech support for whatever good that will do. I bought my processor OEM off eBay so I'm not sure what I can do as far as RMA lol.

If temperature is causing it, increasing voltage will make it hotter. :na: 
Intel will not help you once you tell them you oced it. :p 

Did you try to reset that cooler?
May 3, 2008 12:08:15 AM

ive reset it already as I posted in the thread I linked :) 

It did in fact lower temps about 4C, but 3rd stayed static which makes me wonder if sensor is broken or it just doesnt care and hates me :( 

i didnt tell them I OC'd it :p 
May 3, 2008 12:14:08 AM

"OEM form Ebay" Probably its limited. Most likely someone else tried it and it just dont OC well, and OEMs are hard to send back unless defective. And as long as it runs stock its not defective. So someone probably put it on Ebay as last resort. If a better cooler doesnt hlp my temps, mine will be on Ebay as well.
May 3, 2008 12:17:48 AM

I dont think I'm gonna be at 100% load often, and my temps seem fine right now so I think I'll be ok. If it does crap out on me ill probably just go for the safe ol q6600 :)  (G0 of course).
May 3, 2008 2:49:31 AM

Evilonigiri said:
While I like RealTemp's lower temp reportings, I find them inaccurate. My room temps was 22C and my cpu was 19C. Might be too low, I'd rather stick with Coretemp.

It's better to be safe, lol... :na: 
May 3, 2008 3:06:54 AM

dagger said:
It's better to be safe, lol... :na: 

Yeah, even if the CoreTemp reported higher temps, it's good to have the pc at a lower temp.
May 3, 2008 11:11:41 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Yeah, even if the CoreTemp reported higher temps, it's good to have the pc at a lower temp.

It depends on the CPU you have. If you have a 65nm Core 2 you don't need real temp. Basically what we're looking at is Core Temp's incorrect TjMax for the 45nm Core 2's. Core Temp reports TjMax for the 65nm processors @ 105C! Likely bogus. A TjMax of 85-95C is likely more accurate for the 45nm chips.

To be honest, its not the temps that Core Temp, Everest, Real Temp, etc. are reporting that you should really be concerned with. Its the value of the DTS sensor...delta to TjMax (how far you have before the processors throttles). I'd say as long as you have at least 25C before your processor throttles (under load) all's good.
!