Red Washers for Mobo Installation - USE it or NOT??

keplenk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
Hi all,

Happy New year! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

here goes:

I'm trying to install my new motherboard with my new case. I noticed that this new case doesn't have those red washers (a.k.a Fiber washer) with it. I thought it was just wasn't shipped or something... but when I called them (manufacturer), they said that it really doesn't have it. However, it still has those METAL standoffs instead of plastic. I was expecting plastic because red fiber washers were not included. Now, I did some little research about these "red washers" and I got so confused and interested at the same time.

I found out that there was a long debate about using this red fiber washer or not. Some people say that these "red washers" is a MUST for BOTH sides (1 on top and 1 underneath the mobo for each screw). Some of them say that these red washers will not be in the package if it wasn't important (true).

Some people say that these Red Washers are useless (just for tightening purposes or for non-metallic holes in the mobo). They also say that you should just directly screw the bolts without the use of any washer. They say that the purpose for that is grounding stuff (which I think is very important).
They also said that those "metallic holes" in the motherboard was put there for this grounding purposes. Motherboard manufacturers will not put metal holes if it will just be insulated by red washers. They should have put a non-insulating material instead (good point too).

What is your standpoint regarding this matter and please explain =)

EDIT: new mobo package and/or casing did not have those red washers

Thank you so much.

4745454b

Titan
They also said that those "metallic holes" in the motherboard was put there for this grounding purposes. Motherboard manufacturers will not put metal holes if it will just be insulated by red washers. They should have put a non-insulating material instead (good point too).

That would have been my answer. If for some reason you are attaching a motherboard that doesn't have "metal holes", then you might want to use the washer. Other then that, you have the metal screw, the metal hole, and the metal standoff. It never touches the PCB.

keplenk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
THank you for your reply. Yeah, I think ill just plug it directly. I'm not going to look for washers. I think it actually makes more sense doing it without the washers.

Did you installed yours without those red thingys?

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I used them in my first build. They are a pain though, so I haven't used them since. I haven't personally had any issues. Even OEMs like HP and DELL don't use them in most cases.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
They were necessary quite some time ago, but they aren't necessary today. I haven't used them for the past 4 builds (including one for a friend that I did free work on). I haven't had a motherboard short out on me because of the standups in many years. Don't worry about the red washers.

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
In the "olde days", the red washers were also used as spacers as some cases were poorly designed or manufactured and the various VLB or PCI cards would not fit quite right. You could use one or more of the washers as shims to increase the height of the motherboard so that the card would seat correctly in the slot. Other builders I know claim they used the washers to lift the motherboard farther away from the bottom of the case as some motherboards had solder points which extended too far and could possibly short. Personally, I always inspected the bottom of the motherboard and used a tool to cut off any unusally long leads. Most modern motherboards are manufactured with insulated rings where the standoffs or case mounts will be located and the tolerances for add on cards are also substantially better. That said, there are no valid reasons for using the red fiber washers other than as vibration dampers.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I do not think these are needed anymore. You said it yourself, the metal rings on the board do the same thing.

This is what I think at least... please correct me if I am worng.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I am not an expert ,I will admit. I have only installed 4 motherboards, and found that I had to use the washers to prevent the motherboard from shorting out, in 3 of them, and I will add, that one of them was a new motherboard, that on close inspection, lacked sufficient metal dots or around the holes, to prevent it from shorting out. I keep a supply of them handy and also use them when installing the drives.simonchipmunk