Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cloning hdd to ssd software? both ntfs and ext4

Last response: in Windows Vista
August 14, 2011 6:08:17 PM

Im about to upgrade my notebook hdd to a ssd. I would like a easy cloning of the hdd so I dont have to install everything and configure it again. I have Vista and Linux dual-booting, linux is formated ext4.

so, a 64gb OCZ is $100, and thats all the GB I need. A Crucial with a transfer kit is $150. Im not sure if paying 50% more is worth getting the transfer software and cable. In addition, Im not sure if the tranfer would also work for the linux partition. And honestly thats the important part, I never use windows on my notebook.

would the crucial kit work for me? And even if it does, is there another, perhaps a free solutuion to this problem? I could temporaraly connect both drives to my Desktop computer, wich runs windows vista, and run some software there.
August 18, 2011 3:19:49 PM

If you already have an external drive to hold the image files, clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/ will make an image of your PC that you can restore on the new drive.
Score
August 18, 2011 6:00:51 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If you already have an external drive to hold the image files, clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/ will make an image of your PC that you can restore on the new drive.

How is that done? I conect a external hard drive, make an image of the internal HD on it, install SSD, copy image to SSD? After I install the SSD, how do I copy the image to it, is that done on BIOS or Windows? Will it copy my dual-boot and grub preferences? I set it to only 1s
Score
Related resources

Best solution

August 18, 2011 6:28:00 PM

You don't "copy" the image to the SSD, you run clonezilla again and restore the image onto the drive. You may have meant that though and just worded it differently. Run cloenzilla using a CD, it will see your drive and the external. Clone the drive to the external (BE VERY CAREFUL HERE.. you don't want to accidentally clone the external onto the other drive as that will wipe your data in seconds). Then install the SSD. Boot off the clonzilla disk, and restore the image onto the SSD. Boot normally, should boot off the SSD just like your old drive.

As long as you clone the whole drive and not just the partition, it will clone everything from A to Z that's on the disk bit for bit.
August 18, 2011 9:13:48 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You don't "copy" the image to the SSD, you run clonezilla again and restore the image onto the drive. You may have meant that though and just worded it differently. Run cloenzilla using a CD, it will see your drive and the external. Clone the drive to the external (BE VERY CAREFUL HERE.. you don't want to accidentally clone the external onto the other drive as that will wipe your data in seconds). Then install the SSD. Boot off the clonzilla disk, and restore the image onto the SSD. Boot normally, should boot off the SSD just like your old drive.

As long as you clone the whole drive and not just the partition, it will clone everything from A to Z that's on the disk bit for bit.

Ok, Im starting to understand, however:

I cant boot from a clonezilla CD, cause my laptop's CD drive is broken. I can however connect up to 2 additional external HD onto it.

So just confirming it, if I manage to make a image of the internal HD into a external HD, when I install the SSD, all I have to do is boot from the external HD and run clonezilla to restore to the SSD?

Secondly, the wndows paritiion is in NTFS and Linux is in Ext4, willl clonezilla clone everything at once, or each partition individually?
Score
August 19, 2011 1:57:48 PM

leandrodafontoura said:
Ok, Im starting to understand, however:

I cant boot from a clonezilla CD, cause my laptop's CD drive is broken. I can however connect up to 2 additional external HD onto it.

So just confirming it, if I manage to make a image of the internal HD into a external HD, when I install the SSD, all I have to do is boot from the external HD and run clonezilla to restore to the SSD?

Secondly, the wndows paritiion is in NTFS and Linux is in Ext4, willl clonezilla clone everything at once, or each partition individually?

You can make a Flash Drive or ext. hard-drive clonezilla boot also does not have to be a CD. I just like using CD because it prevent boot order changes with the drives, and give me one less hard-drive letter to worry about when I'm doing the work.

You got the procedure down right.

You can clone the whole drive at once, but you can also sepect the partitions, up to you. Read the clonezilla how-tos on their site, it goes over quite a few things you need to check.

Score
August 19, 2011 4:25:35 PM

Best answer selected by leandrodafontoura.
Score
August 19, 2011 5:19:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!