DepTrai

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Hi!

One of my 3.5" PATA drives went belly-up a couple of days ago, so now I'm trying to recover the data. Some of it was backed up, and some was not. :-( The failure seemed to occur "spontaneously and catastrophically" (i.e. the drive, while in use but not heavily loaded, seemed to instantly go from "all fine" to "lots and lots of unreadable sectors"). It did not suffer any physical shock.

As I'm working on it, slowly building up a partial image of the filesystem, I am starting to suspect that the problem likely is that I am completely missing one head (i.e. 100% of the data from one surface of one platter is unreadable, and 100% of the data from the others is fine). For example, almost _exactly_ 1/6 of the sectors are bad on a 3-platter drive, and all of the bad sectors are in evenly separated sets of adjacent LBA blocks spread across the entire range of LBA blocks, the spacing of which would seem to imply a single head/surface if the LBA-to-physical mapping follows a complete track, then jumps from one platter to the next before moving to a new cylinder, which I assume it does.

I don't want to jump to conclusions too quickly, but I'm wondering, does anyone have an idea whether a failure of this type is common? Is there a good source for the technical details on the drive (a Western Digital), such as the exact LBA-to-physical-CHS mapping? Has anyone had success in repairing such a failure?

Most of all, I'm wondering what is the likely source of a failure of this type -- the platter surface (seems unlikely since it really appears to have 100% of the data unreadable), the actuator/arm/head (physically misaligned or something?), a bad connection or broken trace, or a failure internal to the drive controller electronics. I'm completely unfamiliar with the design of modern IDE circuits (e.g. is there a separate amplifier, demodulator, data latch for each head, or can only one head be read at a time, etc.?), so it's hard for me to guess, and I'm frankly surprised at this apparent failure mode.

I'm looking for the failure mode of course as some guidance as to the best way to proceed. For example, if the problem is not the recording surface, there seems no point in taking the massively-repeated-attempted-read approach very far, as no number of repeated read attempts on a given sector will solve a physically broken connection. OTOH, if it seems likely that it _is_ a problem with the physical recording surface (or the actuator/arm/head), there is no point in even attempting to replace the logic board with one from another drive of the same model, and so forth.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I had a driver issues on a PCI IDE controller cause that same problem. I had updated the BIOS on the controller and installed the new drivers, but they were unsigned. Windows kept reverting to the old signed drivers which did not work with the new BIOS.

The result was a recurring pattern of bad sectors that went away when I connected the drive to another controller.

DepTrai

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Thanks for the idea, Codesmith -- unfortunately, this one gives very consistent behavior on multiple different controllers. :-(

rforce

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
It is possible that you have one bad head or the head crashed and severely damaged the one side of the platter. I don't think there is much you can do on your own, in that there aren't any affordable DIY tools that will read those sectors.

As a data recovery technician, I have some tools that will help me control how the drive reads each sector. I can even turn heads on and off, allowing me to read all the sectors possible with the good heads, without causing further damage to the bad head/surface. However, I would diagnose exactly what we are dealing with (bad head, damaged surface or just randomly bad mess). It is likely that the heads need to be changed before your data will be successfully recovered.

If the data on your drive is important to you, I recommend stopping any further action and seek the advice of a data recovery professional. The more you try on your own, the more damage you cause and the less likely anyone will get your data back.

Good luck,
Luke

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts