What bad year? AMD's Hector Ruiz gets a raise

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Since this is a public company, I wonder if stock holders can demand an explanation to WTF he did to deserve this raise. This is turning into quite a soap opera.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
perhaps Hector set everything just like the investors wanted, to get a huge takeover & stuff..
buy cheap, let it be bought, then it will inflate.
who knows.

CBeck113

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
It was probably cheaper to give him a raise than to fire him...and as they say in the corporate world, "You f**k up, you move up".

RPAaggieDude

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I think that everyone is greatly underestimating Mr. Ruiz. I believe he has a few tricks up his sleeve for 08 that everyone will be surprised with. But then again, only time will tell.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I hope for his (and AMD's) sake he does.

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
dont you know in business.. the less you do the more you make. He just happened to do so much less he gets a fat raise even when the company cant even afford to be in business without outside help to start with. if i were the outside investors funding the outrageous quarterly losses i would yank the funding immediately after seeing that kind of crap. I hate the thought of no intel competition because of high prices, but theres a limit to what can be allowed to happen in situations like this. heck maybe the US gov will step in like they did for Chrysler look where they are now....

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Ruiz should have voluntarily taken a pay cut down to $50K.

It would have been highly symbolic for the entire workforce and might have inspired some to pitch in more for the common good (of the company).

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

That would've been interesting, for sure.

He'd seriously have to try to make the company hit all it's targets, so his own stocks would rise.
What is more interesting is that after reading about the analysts meeting, there was no mention of Intel, even the oft used "monopoly" speel. That was different.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
What's weird is that Hector typically makes more money than Paul Otellini from Intel (I think one year it was on the order of double). I don't know if that makes Paul a nice guy or a Hector an overpaid, lying, cheating embezzeler, but it's interesting.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007

I think it leanz toward the later.

Halley

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I don't know why AMD boards gave out that pay raise or why Mr Ruiz accepted it.

The good thing about it is it costs taxpayers nothing and more important, no pink slips were handed out to rank and file employees. So far...

They do. Pretty much every officer in any company is paid a fair-sized portion of their income in stock and they are expected to keep some multiple of their annual income in stock holdings so that they do have a personal incentive for the company's stock price to appreciate. Trust me, Ruiz would feel the stock price drop in his own personal bottom line if he decided to sell (but he'd have to plan and announce a stock sale 6 months or so in advance due to SEC insider trading regulations.) And also remember, you haven't lost any money if your stocks drop in price until you sell. That is why investing is really a long-term endeavor- ride out the bad times and you haven't lost a thing. Of course, the IRS still taxes you for money you haven't actually made when your stocks do well but you haven't sold (capital gains) but that's another discussion altogether...