SLI 8800GT or SLI 8800GTS (G92)

Hitman34

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Building a new system (by the end of the year, as a tax write-off), should I go with SLI 8800GT or SLI 8800GTS, and why? My new system will probably have the following specs (and any suggestions are appreciated here too) Q6600 w/ 4GB ram running on Windows Vista (32bit for now).

Also, are there any special requirements for the type of motherboards used other than must be 680i?

Thanks,
Hit

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
which one fits your budget ?

since you want to use SLI, you need to look an Nvidia mainboard with 680i or 650i chipset.

Hitman34

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
which one fits your budget ?
Either. This system will be a tax write-off for this year, so price isn't too much of a concern. Was even thinking about SLI'd GTXs, but having a hard time convincing myself to spend that much for video cards.

One thing, I will probably be running at higher resolutions, with a 3 monitor setup.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
here some review about G92 GTS :

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1234/3
http://www.techspot.com/review/79-geforce-8800-gts-512/page3.html

G92GTS is a little bit faster than GT, but GTS draw more power than GT (check your PSU). GTS are colder than GT, but GTS took 2 slots (check your case airflow).
If i were you, i would take the GT, it'll hold me from upgrade for at least 1 year and a half.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007

Keep in mind folks that this new GTS does not currently support DX10 version coming out soon. The 9 series will. Pretty much any Nvidia we buy atm is most likely going to have a year to a year and a half of life in it. I dont know any developers that are going to bother supporting the old DX10 inside of 2 years.

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
This is a direct comparison, the G92 GTS is on average 10% faster than the GT for a 20% jump in price. To the budget conscious, this may not be worth it, but considering that 1) that 50 dollars spent anywhere else will not net that 10% gain, 2) money is not too big an issue for you being a tax write off, and 3) at your higher resolution gaming, that 10% may be important, I'd say the GTS is your card.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/12/geforce_8800_gts_512_mb/page14.html

And the 9 Series isn't rumored to be released until February, not this year.

patmoore

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
If it's a tax write off, just go for GTXs. If you need to write the money off, then just take the plunge.

Otherwise, given your situation I'd go for GTS

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
You can't go wrong with either card. If you're writing this off then why not go GTS. Faster, quieter, and cooler. It does draw more power, but nothing a Silencer 750 can't handle.

Why would you not chose Vista64 with 4GB of RAM? The nature of your post indicates to me that you are aware of the ~3.2GB limit of Vista32, so what is your reasoning here?

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
i grow weary of these posts from strangers. should i get (plug in latest and greatest component here) or (other l.a.g.c here)? you don't appear more '1337' because you can pretend to buy only the best, put your tiny epeen away.

here's an idea...DO YOUR OWN EFFING RESEARCH! there are an awful lot of reviews on an awful lot of sites that answer that question for you but i will answer it for you:

ONE COSTS MORE FOR A NEGLIABLE INCREASE IN PERFORMANCE. you figure it out, you seem like a mensa candidate anyway.

I have to disagree, there is no single game that i can max out with my rig
Crysis @ Very high (VISTA) and High(in XP) with 4xAA (resolution is 1680x1050)
Bioshock,COH,COD4,WORLD IN CONFLICT,HL2:EP2 and lots of other things, havent had any problem maxing out these games :bounce: :D

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006

I have an idea. Why don't you just read the article about the G92s you stupid fuk. We aren't you personal internet army. Go do your own goddamm research and keep your tard questions off these forums.
-cm

Hitman34

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
homerdog -
Why would you not chose Vista64 with 4GB of RAM? The nature of your post indicates to me that you are aware of the ~3.2GB limit of Vista32, so what is your reasoning here?

I actually would like to go to the 64bit version (mainly to up the ram to 8gb or more), but I'm concerned with possible compatibility issues with my different development environments (which is what this system will mainly be used for). I'm a software developer (independent consultant) and based on my clients needs, I am still having to use legacy development environments (VB6, Foxpro/Clipper, etc) for about 60 percent of my work. I'm just not sure what issues I might encounter.

Maziar -
what resolution do u play @ ?

Atleast 1680 x 1050.

Sorry for the noob questions, I haven't been on the hardware side of things for a long time. I have actually not had a desktop pc for about 5 years. I have pretty much lived off a laptop, with most of my time on the road. At the time I built my last system, the RivaTNT was the new card on the block, so that should tell you how long I had it. Pretty much all my "gaming" has been done on the console.

A question about the 9 series, will they be able to run on a 680i mb?

I appreciate everyone's help, thanks!

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

That makes sense.

flip_x

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
i would just get the gtx from evga.. and if the rumors are right about the 9 series coming out in feb then just do a step-up for that...

Ironnads

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007

Oh dear, I think somebody has run out of pills.. (sigh)
Ryan Adds.

olesenster

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
SLI can only push one monitor at a time so you will not be able to use that for a 3 monitor set up. you can switch back and forth from sli to independent cards but you will need to reboot. i just would not expect to play crysis very well in high resolution even with two of those cards.

odg

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

haha I just came across this thread and man could I use you for some psyc research I'm doing. I was wondering what kind of sexual experiences you have had, if any, and to what degree the lack of sex might be influencing your mood.

Also, what drives you to hang out in these forums, and why do you feel that you belong here at all?