Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB: A Christmas Miracle?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 12, 2007 10:39:50 AM

your link needs correcting
December 12, 2007 10:57:33 AM

If you already have the 8800GT, for the price difference, it wouldnt be worth it. Most games from Tom's the GTS leads by 5~10FPS. But I have mine OC @ 700/1950 which I'm pretty sure cleans the margin up to just about no difference. I noticed in the end they OC the GTS quite a bit but they said @ stock speeds it was 85C during load. So OC'd I really wouldnt want to know how hot that thing gets, prob over 90C. Mine I did buy an Aftermarket Artic Cooling Accelero S2 for $17 +ship, at my OC'd settings it never goes over 70C.(I used rivatunes recording feature during intense action games) This is completely passive, no fans on it, just case cooling. In other words, I would still get the 8800GT.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 12, 2007 11:03:51 AM

Seems to me that the policy of introducing a midrange card to plug the gap that ATI were about to fill has backfired a bit.
They (Nvidia) havent had great sales due to avaliability and now will find it hard to sell the GTS cards as they are not that much better.
Some will get them just because: and some will buy for using at higher resolutions,I just cant help thinking that if they had stuck to the old way ie release top of range and release lower spec SKU's later it would have worked better for them.
Mactronix
December 12, 2007 11:15:31 AM

So... who would like to buy a barely used HD3870?
December 12, 2007 11:40:24 AM

The translation is quite good but at the beginning of the article you missed a few MOs. Apart from france there aren't many countries using Megaoctets instead of Megabytes.
December 12, 2007 11:49:49 AM

mactronix said:
Seems to me that the policy of introducing a midrange card to plug the gap that ATI were about to fill has backfired a bit.
They (Nvidia) havent had great sales due to avaliability and now will find it hard to sell the GTS cards as they are not that much better.
Some will get them just because: and some will buy for using at higher resolutions,I just cant help thinking that if they had stuck to the old way ie release top of range and release lower spec SKU's later it would have worked better for them.
Mactronix


I guess the aim was to spoil the launch of the 3870 with the 8800GT. In doing so, they must have impeded sales of the 8800GTX.

But you are right - with the 8800GTS out now who on earth would buy a 8800GTX? They need to replace it fast.

Still, it's good for the consumers - the best card you can get is less than £200 again.
December 12, 2007 11:54:31 AM

Slobogob said:
The translation is quite good but at the beginning of the article you missed a few MOs. Apart from france there aren't many countries using Megaoctets instead of Megabytes.


I think you're being very generous - imo the translation wasn't great.

Sure I could work out what the article was saying, but it was clear to me right from the start that it had been translated into English from another language.
December 12, 2007 12:03:10 PM

8800GT SSC 512 (EVGA) looks like it might be faster than the GTS for $60 less :) 
December 12, 2007 12:49:17 PM

ethel said:
I think you're being very generous - imo the translation wasn't great.

Sure I could work out what the article was saying, but it was clear to me right from the start that it had been translated into English from another language.


Valid point. I based my opinion on the fact that i could understand the article. Sure it's not Mark Twain but it conveyed all information that interested me in an understandable way. Translating an article isn't easy and i'm not too fond of the french language (great people though), so i'm willing to take it as what it is.
December 12, 2007 1:21:46 PM

"Sure it's not Mark Twain but..." Your kidding right? I would gladly read this article 100 times any day over trying to read Mark Twain.

I understand Mark Twain wrote in that style intentionally but, I'll be damned if I can understand half of it. I can understand Shakespeare plays in Old English better than Mark Twain.
December 12, 2007 2:18:43 PM

I dont want to read reviews where I can just "get the basic idea" from the poorly edited text.

I think Im going to start going to a different website.
December 12, 2007 4:00:32 PM

You turds. I have a BA in english and had no complaints about the way this article reads. You can tell that "Crime and Punishement" is translated from a different language, but that doesn't mean it's a bad read.

Either way, it turns out that people will buy whatever new technology they can simply because it is new. The 3870's flew off of the shelves despite the obvious fact that the 8800 gt is a much better buy. I get the feeling that the g92 gts will be much the same. Most people won't care that the 8800gt is marginally worse and significantly cheaper and therefore much more cost effective.
December 12, 2007 4:56:18 PM

I didn't even know it was a translation. (But I was just looking for numbers.)

However, per the review's test results, the 8800GTX remains the faster card. (The results the author mentions in the conclusion as going to the GTS and vice versa are backwards from what the graphs show.)
December 12, 2007 5:00:15 PM

nice article

the card is a winner and so is THG
December 12, 2007 6:33:23 PM

I dont think a $350 object is a miracle. The 512 3850, that is a miracle.
December 12, 2007 9:30:58 PM

Quote:
After being the ultimate card for the Supreme Commander gamer, the 8800 GTS 512 MB appears to be in the same position for this little game that only a few people know about. Namely: Crysis.

lol...
December 12, 2007 9:49:11 PM

My miracle was the 8800GT 512.
Because of system limitations, I can only use a single-slot card. An 8800 series was not possible until the 8800GT.
Put an aftermarket cooler on it, added a couple case exhaust fans, and couldn't be happier.
Will hold me until a new system purchase.
Best bang-for-the-buck solution for me.
December 12, 2007 9:53:01 PM

(slightly off subject, forgive me)
KekaiGenkai said:
You turds. I have a BA in english and had no complaints about the way this article reads. You can tell that "Crime and Punishement" is translated from a different language...
No wonder you had no complaints about they way the article read. You have a BA in English, and you spell punishment "punishEment" ??? OMG. :lol: 
December 12, 2007 10:23:05 PM

I'd like to point out that from the drop down selection when it states "Crysis" and than the bar graphics say "Crysis", yet in the screen shot it states in the upper right hand corner, "Pre-Release Demo." Can it possibly be made clear if this is the demo or if this is in fact the retail version of the game?
December 12, 2007 11:15:51 PM

Hello guys,

Being this article's translator and since I read that some of you thought it could be improved, I was just wondering what specific passages you had in mind so we can all share our views and I can basically do a better job next time :D 

FYI -> JustinMcG67 Florian should tell me exactly what version of Crysis he's using... will let you know as soon as I have the answer.
December 13, 2007 12:33:02 AM


Words about NVIDIA and its 8800GT


Dear NVIDIA,

With great pains I write this e-mail, and yet, thank you for your past excellence. These days research has become frustrating for me as I try to put together a system based on SLI and am unable to find a suitable motherboard. If NVIDIA wants to make SLI unprofitable for leading edge manufacturers like ASUS and Intel, shouldn't then the corporation be ahead of new technology. It becomes a lesson in audacious arrogance projected toward NVIDIA while trying to find a motherboard suited for its very own 8800 GT. Unfortunately, AMD/ATI does not have enough wanted advancements, yet, for me to buy from them, so I must wait for NVIDIA to figure out how to make a motherboard for its own card. For me, this attitude that NVIDIA is responsible for has created resentment toward NVIDIA, itself, and I should not be the only consumer that feels this way.

Dear NVIDIA, please become more customer friendly or else lose profits. The only thing that the market had to provide me with to move away from NVIDIA was an AMD-Spider or similar platform with DDR3 and four lanes running PCIe 2.0, with a few PCI. And though I would not have been totally satisfied with my purchase, I would have comforted my discontentment with NVIDIA for tying up SLI, which now I currently am even more frustrated over because of having to wait, unnecessarily. Do not believe that within the human psyche these stimuli go unnoticed when making future purchases. AMD need only prove itself to be close to NVIDIA's performance in order to gather the loyalty of a cheated community of thoughtful enthusiasts.

Maybe there is a CEO that does not care about these matters because he or she has amassed a personal fortune. However and regretfully so, another company has allowed for the wrong move to be made, and people do not forget. I hope that in the future there will be no more hyper-capitalism from NVIDIA.

Sincerely,
Joseph


December 13, 2007 6:04:36 AM

Nvidia doesn't make motherboards.. just the chipset.. and Asus has listed the new 780 motherboard. If you want DDR3 wait until 790 in January.

If you want four lanes with 2.0 PCI-e and DDR3 look out for MSI and Gigabyte.
December 13, 2007 6:08:41 AM

justinmcg67 said:
I'd like to point out that from the drop down selection when it states "Crysis" and than the bar graphics say "Crysis", yet in the screen shot it states in the upper right hand corner, "Pre-Release Demo." Can it possibly be made clear if this is the demo or if this is in fact the retail version of the game?


The full retail versiondoesn't have the Pre-Release Demo on the corner. The reason they benchmarked with the demo is because, really, the retail version doesn't show any improvements on performance over the demo, so the full retail is not needed.
December 13, 2007 6:33:52 AM

justinmcg67 said:
I'd like to point out that from the drop down selection when it states "Crysis" and than the bar graphics say "Crysis", yet in the screen shot it states in the upper right hand corner, "Pre-Release Demo." Can it possibly be made clear if this is the demo or if this is in fact the retail version of the game?
As described in the previous roundup, we used the demo version for Crysis, as we hadn't all the graphic boards anymore and as we haven't measured significant differences between the performance in the demo and in the final game. We'll use the final game for the next articles.
December 13, 2007 8:05:51 AM

bildo123 said:
Mine I did buy an Aftermarket Artic Cooling Accelero S2 for $17 +ship, at my OC'd settings it never goes over 70C.This is completely passive, no fans on it, just case cooling.


Are you sure you are using a "Artic Cooling Accelero S2"?
I check the site for compatability and the 8800's arent there, its look really cool.
I wanna get one, just not sure if its going to work.
I have a 8800 GTS 320Mb Gainward Golden Sample (Factory Overclock)
December 13, 2007 11:48:13 AM

GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB: A Christmas Miracle? What a joke .... good card .... but certainly no miracle !!! Overpriced as H*LL !!!!! I was expecting a super dual core for around that price or a little more !
December 13, 2007 11:48:40 AM

GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB: A Christmas Miracle? What a joke .... good card .... but certainly no miracle !!! Overpriced as H*LL !!!!! I was expecting a super dual core for around that price or a little more !
December 14, 2007 12:38:18 PM

David Civera said:
Hello guys,

Being this article's translator and since I read that some of you thought it could be improved, I was just wondering what specific passages you had in mind so we can all share our views and I can basically do a better job next time :D 


Well, I don't really want to go through the whole thing, but here are a few examples :) 

'It's a strategy that paid off in front of Ati's inaction' => 'It's a strategy that paid off due to ATI's inaction'

'If the availability of a new version of the GeForce 8800 GTS (512 Mo) should logically make things worse, Nvidia claims on the contrary that it'll be the landmark of a new beginning for the recently launched cards. By the way, what is this new 8800 GTS really worth?' => This use of 'By the way' sounds odd. I think it should be 'So, what is this new 8800 GTS really worth?'

'There's actually little to know about the GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Mo. It takes back the G92 chip introduced with the renowned 8800 GT, but in a boosted version as it maintains the 128 stream processors of the 8800 GTX' => The use of 'it takes back' here is definitely wrong. Should be something like 'It uses the G92 chip'

As I said before, I could understand the article and what it was putting across, but it doesn't sound like natural English like, for example, this review by Anandtech does:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2007 1:18:15 PM

ooh, one more thing...

very important to get:

Akasa AK-TT12-80 Thermal Adhesive Tape
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-001-AK&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=

with that cooler as the supplied thermal pads on the RAM sinks are totally useless !!! :pfff: 


Quote:
Neal Spence-

Bought one of these a few weeks back, Using it with a Yate loon 120mm fan - My 8800gt has idle temps of 35c and full load of 42c!!!

Slight differnce to the stock cooler, which was at 87c at full load!
December 14, 2007 3:33:17 PM

I just wanted to point out that there are some printing mistakes especially in the age of empires graphs. there is stated 8800GT 512 instead of 8800GTS 512
thats all
December 14, 2007 7:01:08 PM

I'm surprised no one else has commented that the conclusion is backwards.

(Just look at the performance graphs themselves, including the ones on the final page.)
December 14, 2007 7:06:47 PM

Well, the first paragraph of the conclusion is anyway messed up, in what is otherwise a very good review...
December 14, 2007 8:31:59 PM

ethel said:
Well, I don't really want to go through the whole thing, but here are a few examples :) 

'It's a strategy that paid off in front of Ati's inaction' => 'It's a strategy that paid off due to ATI's inaction'

'If the availability of a new version of the GeForce 8800 GTS (512 Mo) should logically make things worse, Nvidia claims on the contrary that it'll be the landmark of a new beginning for the recently launched cards. By the way, what is this new 8800 GTS really worth?' => This use of 'By the way' sounds odd. I think it should be 'So, what is this new 8800 GTS really worth?'

'There's actually little to know about the GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Mo. It takes back the G92 chip introduced with the renowned 8800 GT, but in a boosted version as it maintains the 128 stream processors of the 8800 GTX' => The use of 'it takes back' here is definitely wrong. Should be something like 'It uses the G92 chip'

As I said before, I could understand the article and what it was putting across, but it doesn't sound like natural English like, for example, this review by Anandtech does:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175


Thanks Ethel, I appreciate it...

Basically; if I understand what you mean, there aren't any grammatical errors per say, just things that sound odd to you... Well, it's a good sign since the articles was proof read by an an English copy editors and I myself am American...

I guess the biggest challenge is to translate the Cartesian French way of thinking into a text that makes Americans comfortable, knowing it's a totally different approach.

For instance, when you say: The use of 'it takes back' here is definitely wrong. Should be something like 'It uses the G92 chip'

You are right, but then, 'it uses' doesn't carry the meaning of what Florian wrote (in this case he used the French verb 'reprendre' which carries the idea that it was taken from the old card and placed on the newer model)

I believe in sticking as close as possible to the original text, thus it's sometimes hard to find the right balance... but thanks for the input, we'll continue to improve...
December 15, 2007 3:21:36 PM

Great article - Thanks
December 16, 2007 2:16:59 AM

8800GTS is evolution (plain and simple) and its not revolution (by any-means or way)

i am instaling 2 just for myself !!!!!!
December 17, 2007 6:42:35 PM

TGH needs to hire a copy editor. A good portion of your text is just unreadable.

sample...

Quote:
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB After the 8800 GT earthquake, Nvidia own with its new 8800 GTS a second coherent card in its catalogue.


Quote:
On the other hand, the unbalanced character of this new 8800 GTS which almost only counts on its raw throughput to outgrow the 8800 GT 512 MB shows its limitations.


And the last paragraph is a run on sentence.

There are a lot more subtle grammatical mistakes. I am far from perfect, English is my second language, but you guys are paid to write.

December 17, 2007 7:02:19 PM

since everyone keeps referring to how much more value the 8800gt holds of the 8800gts because of the cheaper price, let me point out that it is practically impossible to get your hands on an 8800gt right now. and if you can, it will prolly cost as much if not more than the 8800gts. so if you really want something for christmas, get the 8800gts. if not, wait till next year for the 8800gt to go off into production again.

ask yourself, is the 60 extra dollars worth not having to wait through to heck knows what time for the 8800gt? you get a (slightly) better card, and you get it faster.
December 17, 2007 7:23:01 PM

Well atleast no one's complaining how unfair blah blah blah, i'll take grammar nazis over that any day.
December 18, 2007 9:48:17 AM

I say it's a great card for the price although it will probably be more of a nightmare when they start selling out everywhere and the price gouging ensues.
December 18, 2007 11:57:05 AM

Is the stock cooler on this card good (no overclocking) or will it need extra cooling?

December 18, 2007 12:28:50 PM

8800gts 512 owner here. Coupled with 2gb DDR2 800MHz Ram and e2160 (stock for now) CPU and I am getting 30 fps in Crysis at 1280x1024 with everything on high. I didn't notice any big drops, either. I didn't want the single cooler on the GT (and didn't want to play with installing a new cooler) and got Crysis with the card so I am happy with the purchase.
December 18, 2007 1:08:53 PM

By the way, somebody tell me the price of the 8800GT in North America (USA). I'm waiting for price drop in Europe, Romania....
December 18, 2007 1:23:34 PM

just got one the other day. the cooling is GREAT and it is very overclockable (think 775mhz core and 1ghz memory). with the fan turned up a little bit, it barely gets over 50-55C
!