assgard01

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2007
this is my problem.

i plan to get a notebook that is powerfull enough to do work the CS3 suite.mainly premiere and dreamweaver.now the problem i haveis with storage.all know that laptops dont have much of that.i routinely work with 20-30 hours of mowie and each hour ocupies 13GB of hard drive. so i am planning to get a NAS system.

now.can i get the laptop and nas to work together for my videoediting? how do i see my hard disks from the nas on the computer(i mean like a local drive?network drive?ftp server?) and would the bandwith be sufficient?

i was doing research and found some nas that are made specialy for video editing.do i need something like that or a normal nas is enough?i plan for 4 hard disks each 1TB in raid 0.or should i go raid 0+1?

waiting for suggestions

Most NAS boxes let you see the data in whatever way is most convenient for you (FTP, Web access, NFS, Windows network drive). The last of these is probably what you want. Access speed is obviously very dependent on your network speed, so you'll want to use gigabyte equipment throughout (network interfaces on PC and NAS and any switches).

If, as you say, certain NAS are made specifically for video editing then they are worth investigating. But as with all things in life, what something is advertised as doesn't necessarily correspond with the facts. Get hold of whatever information you can from the manufacturers and compare access speeds that they quote.

Personally I would have thought that any gigabyte NAS would be able to handle your needs.