It's time for a new case.

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Well my system is more toasty then I want with the added 8800GTX. In fact I was overheating and I now am in dire need of a new case. I need help picking the right one, and I was hoping you all could help. I really dont care how big the case is and sound doesnt bother me. My wish is to be able to fit all my hardware into my case, and keep it cool while enclosed rather then with the sides off like my current situation is. I really dont want to do water cooling, I would rather stick to alot of fans if I could. I have looked at many cases, but there is usually something that comes off as negative to me.

Here are some I have thought about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119121

I will also mention that I have looked at the Thermaltake Armour and the Air-conditioned case. The Thermaltake didnt look bad but I am skeptical of its cooling capability. The air-conditioned case I am not sure if my hardware will fit into it.

Also, my PSU is rather large. Its the Pc power and cooling 1k so its a little larger then the standard psu. I currently have a modded Lian-li pc61 (i think its called) and its has ran very cool until now, my hardware is too much for it. I figured it would be in my best interest to get a whole new case then to mod it even more.

Thanks for reading all of that. lol

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I really like that Coolermaster. See it rated pretty darn well too. And it WILL keep your stuff as cool as any Air cooled system can.

Take a look around OCForums and Xtreme Forums, two of the big modders forums. They both have a hardware section and good case discussions.

Again, what I read the Coolermaster will be just fine. I have the Antec 900B, a good mid-sized case known for very good air cooling, and saw the 900B for umm $59 on a Frys ad we printed tonight.

If it's the GPU, get a good aftermarket cooler. Can't go wrong with Thermaltake, it's godlike in temp drops.

darthmaulsmate

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
thermaltake armour va8003bws i have one and the space for expansion is exceptional and cooling is awsome 250mm side fan 2x120mm fans front and back 2x92mm fans back and top and i've added another 120mm fan of my own and it's still quiet

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Ive been looking and the more I look the more I just cannot decide. One thing that I have seen that kind of bothers me is the fact that my case a Lian-Li PC61 or 60 cannot remember, is setup very similar to some of the recommended cases. I already have a window in the side panel and was think about replacing that window with a metal mesh cover of some sort. That and replacing all fans in the case with updated fans, seeing as I cannot remember what they are(ive had this case for quite some time). I was also thinking of adding a few fans to the panel with the window in it as well. Any suggestions of whether or not this is a wise idea?

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I would go with the cooler master cm 690. Just buy it and a few fans, it has room for 8 fans and also has goof wire management system. Easy on the eyes as well, no side window or any of that.

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I appreciate the input, I had looked at the 690 but I think I am going to try to mod first. If not that is probably around the case I will look for. Thanks to everyone for their inputs!

brewster0101

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I hear great things about antec but also some simple faults - such as power cables not reaching due to poor design etc etc.

I would have had an thermaltake armour, mozart tx and now Kandalf LCS in the last 24 months.

Armour with 25cm window is very very good. No complcations with cables or nothing.

But I am now currently looking at getting the Lian Li 343 for my new rig.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Let me help you make a wise choice, notice in the second picture the 120mm fan in front of where the graphics cards will be. This case has been aproved by NVidia for use with Tri-SLI, the Silverstones TJ09. Having this case for less than two weeks I can tell you that it like having your computer outside the case temperature wise.

img3394tn7.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-11-14

image2dw2.jpg

image3ux2.jpg

12082007204841xt2.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-12-07

Grunge

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
system lord, that is indeed the most impressive case I have seen thus far. This will definately be a consideration, I am thinking of this case instead of modding. Very nice find.

I have looked at the Stacker, but when I looked the color I wanted was not available. I think that Silverstone will do just the trick should I buy a case.

Thanks again!

Ironnads

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
(Quoting Phoronix)

Conclusion:

The excitement brought on by the SilverStone Temjin TJ09 was no one-night stand as we continue to be impressed with its features, internal layout, and build quality. The only possible shortcomings with this case was only six internal 3.5" HDD bays (it would have been ideal to have eight) and the extra wire management challenges presented due to the mid-section air duct. However, that mid-section air duct is certainly an innovative and beneficial improvement especially if running multiple GPUs. It is also worth pointing out that the Maximum PC magazine selected the SilverStone Temjin TJ09 for their 2006 Dream Machine. We are so confident in this chassis that it is safe for us to say that this is the best ATX chassis we have seen in 2006, and it will likely remain that way for a while unless some serious competition is introduced next month at the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas. While the price tag for the TJ09 is nearly $300 USD, if you are serious about computing this case is without a doubt worth the purchase. The SilverStone engineers did an unbelievable job with the TJ09, which leaves us only to wonder what they can possibly offer in the SilverStone Temjin TJ10.

Phoronix Product Rating: 10 / 10

One of my machines is housed in a Silverstone TJ06, so I highly recommend Silverstone products as they make an easy to work with solid case and tool-less ROM/hard drive installs. If you don't mind spending the money, the TJ09 or the TJ10 both are super nice and would do a great job at keeping all your components cool.

But, truth be told, for the money, the Antec 900 is by far one of the best laid out and cooling friendly cases I have ever seen, I mean c'mon it's got a huge top fan and plenty of 120mm fans all around. You can get one for ~$120 + delivery on Newegg and I've seen them for $95 at computer shows.

Good luck!

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

A lot of people are putting a radiator where the two 120mm fans are up top. What happened to my other pictures?

tj09watercooled2uy9.jpg

By systemlord, shot with FinePix E550 at 2007-12-17

measurementzy0ek0.jpg

By systemlord, shot with FinePix E550 at 2007-12-17