Will there be enough space on my motherboard?

jackyboy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I was all ready and set to buy my new pc, just adding the finishing touches then I realised something...will there be enough space on my motherboard?

I was going to buy the Asus P5kE-wifi and in it i would want to put a 8800 ultra, BFG physX card, and an XFI sound card. will they all fit onto the motherboard ok?

another thing i was looking at was getting a 780i mobo instead, any make really, havent decided but they all seem to be the same reference design. But would the 8800, physX, sound card AND wifi card fit on that? with the possibility of adding another 8800? i have tried looking at the pictures but im getting a little confused with what can go in where.

thanks for your help

jackyboy

jackyboy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I have actually managed to find some better pictures now and worked out that it should fit with the p5k-e but it wont work with the 780i, guess there will be no sli for me then! :(

sorry for double post, you can delete this thread or whatever if you wish:)
jackyboy

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
wait... why could you not fit it all onto the 780i. You use the top PCIe for your video card, and then you still have 2 open pci slots as well as 2 pcie slots open.

I guess you are not getting a sound card so you should have enough room.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

drop the on board wifi and get pci or pci-e wifi card.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
sorry, I miss read, you want a sound card. OK, now if you run vista 64bit or i think even xp 64bit, you may run into issues of trying to get the drivers to work. From my understanding, there are no 64 bit drivers. I am probably worng but this is what I found so far.

G

Why 8800Ultra and PhysX card. Save yourself $500, get the 8800GTS G92 and punch whoever in the head that told you the PhysX card is worth even spending $50.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
good to hear that the wifi drivers are out. Yes I also agree with deuce271 to punch whoever it was in the head that told you to get a physx card. These are not worth anything. They have also shown in a few games to slow down the game becuase it can not keep up with the graphics card. Nvidia has some for of physics onboard, and then newest 8800gts is a damn good card.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Agreed...Physx card is worthless. The 8800 series is more than capable (with powerful CPU...which you should have anyway when running those cards) to handle all physics in your games. Until there is a more viable and mass-accepted physics processor (that needs to be stand-alone), current and near-future games probably won't benefit from them.

I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

jackyboy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Thanks for all the advice. Yeah i got the physx as a present for christmas from my dad, so if i punch him in the head it means less presents next time:p so i have to use it really.
I guess ill just have to get SLI around christmas next year then...

Were you suggesting not using the on board wifi because its crap or because of the drivers?