gpt partition vs mbr partition

meowth

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Ok. I have been trying to do some research on the gpt partition format vs the mbr partition format. I have a 16 port raid card that currently has 2 2tb arrays and a 1.2tb array using mbr partitions. I would like to be able to combine the 2tb arrays into one big 4tb array. I know that mbr is limited to 2tb size. My question is there a downside to using a gpt partition format? All my pc's are running vista ultimate sp1 or vista business so I'm not worried about compatibility with prior os's.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
The 2TB limit is only for the computer that physically has the RAID card in it. Other computers accessing shares on that drive over the network do not have to have compatibility with the GPT format.

There is no way that I know of to combine the MBR partitions together. You will have to back up the data, delete all the MBR partitions and the arrays, create a new array, transition the volume to GPT format, create and format a GPT partition, and then copy the data back.

The main drawback to a GPT formatted volume is that you cannot boot from it unless you have a machine with an EFI BIOS. Otherwise, the boot drive must be an MBR disk.

meowth

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
The 2TB limit is only for the computer that physically has the RAID card in it. Other computers accessing shares on that drive over the network do not have to have compatibility with the GPT format.

There is no way that I know of to combine the MBR partitions together. You will have to back up the data, delete all the MBR partitions and the arrays, create a new array, transition the volume to GPT format, create and format a GPT partition, and then copy the data back.

The main drawback to a GPT formatted volume is that you cannot boot from it unless you have a machine with an EFI BIOS. Otherwise, the boot drive must be an MBR disk.

Thanks. I know I will have to delete the arrays and recreate them using gpt. I don't need to boot from the arrays. I am just wanting to make sure there are no hidden gotchas with the gpt format. I really don't know much about the gpt partition style.