kittyhawk

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2007
Will Intel release an eight core CPU for it's Core 2 architecture?

If so, will such CPUs be compatible with the current Bearlake chipset based motherboards?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Nehalem will be a native 4 core design with a form of hyper threading, so 8 threads total. Later on they will release a 8 core version which will have a total of 16 threads.

Nehalem is a new architecture, which will be introduced in the extreme edition flavor at the end of 2008, with early 2009 being the desktop counterparts. Nehalem also incorporates a new IMC and Quickpath interconnect, so all motherboards upgradability die at the end of 2008. Nehalem will require a new socket/chipset/motherboard.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
What Kamrooz said.

If there is an 8 core CPU, it will probably be using the Nehalem architecture, with IMC, which will require a new mobo, and maybe even new memory (DDR3 over DDR2).

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I hope though the Nehalem will have a 775 socket version that will work on the p965 motherboard. Like the Allendale or "Wolfdale-3M" with a high multiplier!
(with at least 4 cores please)

After some research, there doesn't seem to be ANY socket 775 Nehalem. Too bad..
It also seems only DDR3 will be used in the Nehalem generation.
So just get a good Yorkfield if you don't plan to upgrade for new everything anytime soon.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
you wont be seeing any 8 core c2x's any time soon unless they bring out a native quad core which currently isnt in mis and even if they do it will just be to native quads (which arnt developed yet) glued together.

which bring me onto my next point you can get 8 core pcs, you need to get a server MB like the mac pro (which are sh*t due to the 7300gt they rack) or the HP workstation which are really quite good(expensive) and have 2 quad cores, or you can wait until intel release their duel proc board for the consumer market which will support SLi and LGA775

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
will see the native quad on the 45nm Nehalem.

Enewmen: There won't be, the IMC and quickpath interconnect requires a completely new socket, motherboard, and chipset. It would not work at all with the FSB based chipsets we currently use.

I doubt will see the octocore on the 45nm platform, I don't feel like hunting down the intel roadmap as I normally do, but I'd bet on it that the 8 octo core (16 thread) cpu won't be seen until the "tick" in intels "tick tock" plan. Basically, we'll see the octocore at the 32nm shrink I believe. I doubt 8 cores would fit on a 45nm process.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Yea.. DDR3 only for Nehalem.

Sockets are LGA1336 for Highend Desktop. 1x Quickpath, 4 Cores, IMC, 8 threads, Tri-Channel DDR3.

LGA1160 for Mainstream.

No quickpath (1x PCIe16 or 2x PCIe8), Dual Channel DDR3, 4 cores and 2 core variants, 8 and 4 threads, IMC.

This might be the killer for Nehalem. Will LGA1336 be like the Skulltrail board where only QX variants are released? If so, I'd end up on LGA1160, which might limit your options for processors. This is why I really want to see AMD come back... I'd rather have a 45nm AMD 4x4 than this crap.. Multiple sockets per processor = bad idea, confusing for consumers, and ties you into a limited line of processors.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I get Dual and Quad Channel.. Not sure how Tri-Channel is even going to work. But yes, 3 channels.

Quad would be each memory bank gets a Core.. Tri.. wth?

Agreed and QFT

But will the 8-core CPU be some form of MCM? If not, it may very well be 10h Launch, Version 2.0 as an 8-core chip for Intel with the IMC and such will be at least as big of a hurdle as the 10h was for AMD. But if Intel plays its Nehalem IMC/CSI design hand right, they could have the design allow for the possibility of MCMs and use this to further gain traction in the server and HPC market.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I believe they did say the 8 core desktop would be MCM. I know the 6 core server will be native. Not sure about when the desktop chips will be native or if that will be Sandy Bridge or Westmere.

kittyhawk

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2007
On the tri and quad channel memory:
I think it is impratical and expensive since the greater no. of memory slots will occupy more real estate on the motherboard. End users will also have to buy more memory modules to fill up a 3 (or 4) memory channels.

16 threads! wow, that's cool!

Oh wait...none of my games can utilize 4.

well, that's a bummer.

I'm certain that BOINC can handle 16 threads simultaneously. Sixteen.
But we will have to wait a while before games can even make use of 8 threads.

At first, yes. But don't you think eventually we'll move to 128-bit memory modules? We've been using 64-bit-wide DRAM modules since the very first FDIV-affected Socket 5 Pentiums came out in 1993. Pretty much everything today and even in the last few years except a few laptop chips requires dual-channel anyway, so why not cut to the chase and simply use 128-bit models? Perhaps DDR4 could incorporate that into the standard.

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Isn't nehalem LGA 715? Skulltrail is supposed to be a dual socket 8-core solution, and there's nothing stopping intel from doing that with nehalem. But I doubt they're going to get 8 cores on a single chip in time for nehalem to come around.

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006

Monolithic octo core 'Beckton' 45nm CPU is due out in 2009 for MP servers. In 2008 they've got Dunnington, a monolithic hex core CPU based on Core 2 that will fit into the current Clarksboro chipset.