Sign in with
Your question

New build and it won't power up... need help.

Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2007 6:20:46 PM

I built a new system and when I go to turn it on I have no power. The PSU is an OCZ GamexStream 700W. I checked my cables and all were seated and all connections were made. The switch on the back of the PSU was turned to "on" (I tried both ways many times though) still nothing. I switched the AC cable to the one from my old PSU...nothing. Tried it in an outlet that I knew had power (all previous attempts were on a power strip that was working too) and got no power from the unit. Is it DEAD??? It's brand new.....should the fan turn on right away once the PSU is powered on? I guess that is the biggest thing that I need to know because the fan never spins by being powered. I need some help please.......thanks in advance.

More about : build power

December 5, 2007 8:07:57 PM

Maybe the power supply is DOA. Try using another power supply to know for sure. It'd help if you gave all of your system specs.
December 5, 2007 8:18:09 PM

I was thinking of using another PSU. The one I have now won't work for the job as it doesn't have all of the right connectors (need 2 SATA and my board has a 20 + 4 pin 12v system but the other PSU only has a 20 pin 12v).

System specs:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (Rev 2.0)
CPU: e6750 w/ stock fan
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12)
HDD: Seagate Cuda 500GB 3.0GB/sec 32MB cache
DVD+/-RW: Lite-On (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...)
Video Card: XFX 7600GT
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W

Note: All components were purchased new in the last 2 weeks. None are known to be 100% functional.
Related resources
December 6, 2007 2:36:06 AM

Well, first off, don't panic. You checked your cables to be sure they were tight, ok good. Did you clear the cmos and reset the jumper to the on position? Sometimes motherboards come with the cmos jumper on the clear pin settings. Also, did you check your connections from the case to the board? I would start there.
December 6, 2007 3:36:55 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Well, first off, don't panic. You checked your cables to be sure they were tight, ok good. Did you clear the cmos and reset the jumper to the on position? Sometimes motherboards come with the cmos jumper on the clear pin settings. Also, did you check your connections from the case to the board? I would start there.
I agree, reset CMOS with the jumper and check case power button connections to the mobo header. remove the power switch and carefully short the power pins on the mobo header.
December 6, 2007 4:43:02 AM

It didn't even occur to me to reset the CMOS. It's been awhile since I have built a computer and have forgotten some things. Do any of you know off hand if my board (specs above) will have a jumper that I need to place on the pins or is there a switch? It's not that big of a deal, because I can check it later on today.

I am sure that my connections from every device to the PSU and mobo are firm and seated. I've checked and checked again.

What do you mean by carefully shorting the power pins on the board header? What will this do/allow to happen and how would I short it? Thanks to everyone who has replied.
December 6, 2007 4:59:06 AM

The mobo has pins near the battery that need to be shorted temporarily to reset the CMOS. I believe there are 3 pins and you move the shorting strap and then move it back. Don't leave the strap on the reset pins when you boot. Check your manual to confirm my instructions. The power switch on the front of the case is, or should be, attached to pins on the motherboard. they are located with the case headers (pins) for the HD & power LEDs etc. Verify that the connectors to the switch are on the correct pins, verify all of the connections to the case header on the mobo. Additionally you can short the two pins together temporarily, in effect doing the same thing that the switch does. This removes the switch from the equation when looking for possible causes.
December 6, 2007 5:01:27 AM

shorting the power switch pins on the motherboard header will power up the board.
December 6, 2007 11:42:37 AM

Thanks all. I will try resetting the CMOS and will double check the case header connections when I get back from class in a couple of hours. I really didn't look at those all too well last night as I figured it was something else (one of the larger cables) that was causing the problem. I know that these header cables were being "stretched" and didn't have much free play in them. It seems like Antec would provide 2 more inches of wiring, but then again that might make things too easy. Nah I'm just kidding, the case is a great case and I'm not bashing it.

Is the shorting strap a "jumper"? If not, I guess I don't know what it is. Shouldn't it have come with the mobo?
December 6, 2007 12:49:13 PM

Yes we are talking about jumpers here. There should be a jumper already on the motherboard. Just change the position.
You could remove the battery for 30 secs also.
December 6, 2007 2:10:25 PM

Ok, I took my mobo manual to class (calculus isn't that exciting) and I did some reading. I come home and I change some of the wires around and guess what.....IT POWERS ON!!!!!!! YAAY!!!!! In case you were wondering, I changed 3 sets of wires around on my front panel header. I had the PWR switch wires on the PWR_LED header and I think my reset switch and HDD LED wires were also mixed up. It should all work now but please stay tuned to this thread in case I need any more help. I am off to load XP right now. Thank you to all of you and especially to ohiou_grad_06 and Zorg.

I also found out that I would have needed a jumper to reset CMOS (it said that in my manual) but I clearly saw it when I opened the case back up after class. I will let you all know how my build turns out. Thanks again.
December 6, 2007 3:47:27 PM

Okay. My HDD isn't being recognized and I'm not sure why exactly. Specs are above.

My optical drive was recognized, I went into either the CMOS or BIOS (I forget which) settings and did the "Auto Recognize" for each "channel". Initially I had the optical drive in channel 0 and HDD in channel 1. I knew channel 0 worked so I powered down, etc. and put the SATA cable from the HDD into channel 0 and the optical SATA cable into channel 2. Boot again and channel 2 recognizes the optical drive but channel 0 won't recognize my HDD.

I know there is no "master/slave" system with SATA so I don't know what it could be. There was a 2 pin jumper and 4 pins on the HDD when I opened it. I immediately removed the jumper because it said that the only reason for the jumper was to limit the drive to 1.5Gb/s anbd my mobo is capable of 3.0Gb/s. I replaced the jumper and tried that but I'm not certain that it is in the right position. Numbering the pins from left to right with the label side of the HDD upward I put the jumper on pins 2 and 3, which is where I thought it was initially.

In either case, regardless of jumper being present or not, I get continuous, short beeps, which according to my mobo manual states that there is a power failure. I checked the power connections to the HDD along with the SATA cable and booted multiple times still getting the beeping.

I guess I am stuck on what to do next. It is possible that I got a bad drive but no damage was apparent and it came bubble wrapped extremely well from Newegg (OEM drive). Either way I will wait for some expert advice.
December 6, 2007 4:19:34 PM

Glad the PC is powering up. See the link below from the Seagate web, I don't know if it will help though:
http://seagate.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/seagate.cfg/php/end...*OZxSi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTE5LDExOSZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9ZHJpdmUgbm90IGRldGVjdGVk&p_li=&p_topview=1
December 6, 2007 4:54:21 PM

I had visited a similar link to Seagate's website but this one might be more useful. Of the 5 listed problems, I think I can rule out a faulty data cable as I have swapped the cables between optical and HDD. I can also rule out the HDD being too large as it's only 500GB. In addition, the board supports 3.0Gb/s and it's a 3.0Gb/s HDD so jumper settings can't be it...I will simply remove the jumper and rule out this possibility.

That leaves the possibility that it's not getting enough power or it is defective. Cables were firmly seated so it must be defective. I will troubleshoot later after work to see if the disk is actually vibrating. Feel free to throw any suggestions my way.
December 6, 2007 6:26:50 PM

Remove the HD and see if you still get the beeps. If you do, then it's not the drive, which I doubt anyway.
December 7, 2007 1:12:09 PM

I will disconnect the cables and boot to see what happens. Check this out though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

I was reading through them last night and it seems that a lot of these have been marked as 32MB cache when they are really 8MB. How do I check this to make sure I didn't overpay? Also, they seem to have a high DOA rate from the reviews...

Edited to add the following...

I unplugged the power and data cables from my HDD and removed the data cable from the mobo. I started up the computer and no beeping was heard. I turned it off and did this a second time with no beeps. I used a 3rd different SATA cable and using a different power connector on the next boot and beeps were once again heard. Can I conclude from this that my HDD was DOA?
December 7, 2007 3:56:15 PM

I would say it's the HD, If you had another you could confirm it. I'v never heard of a drive causing POST beeps, see something new every day. If you had another you could confirm it. If not, I would sent the drive back to Newegg for replacement. Based on those reviews you might want to get a different drive.
December 7, 2007 4:28:03 PM

My mobo says that continuous short beeps means that there is a problem with "power" and this only happens when the drive is plugged into th board and PSU. I am guessing it's the HDD as well.

The reviews seem to be great for the drives that are actually functioning properly, which is why I'd like to keep the same model and I think that Newegg will replace it for free and they won't exchange it. I don't want to have to pay a restocking fee just to return it.

Are there any 500GB 7200 rpm drives that you could recommend, preferrably with a large cache and for about $125? I don't think there are too many with the 32MB cache, the next option would be 16MB.....
December 7, 2007 5:47:32 PM

If it's a hassle just have them swap it. I still can't understand how a drive would give you that error. You really should try to plug it into another PC to test it if you can.
December 9, 2007 3:43:02 PM

I bought a new Seagate drive and it was recognized right off the bat, which tells me that I had a bad HDD no doubt. The new one is made in China and the bad one was made in Thailand. I've heard the ones made in Thailand have an extremely high failure rate...up to 50% according to some reviews. I may try to find the same model locally and return the defective one back to them if I get a working one.
December 9, 2007 5:46:31 PM

Great, I'm glad you found the problem. A new scenario to add to the list, POST beeps for a bad HD.
December 9, 2007 6:47:44 PM

I wonder if the system would detect a short in the sata power lines in the HDD. It could trip the over current protection on the powersupply and maybe give you the power failure beeps...
Though so high current would probably melt the coatings on the wires aswell, or atleast heat them up considerably.
[/speculation]
December 10, 2007 1:29:10 AM

I was hearing short continuous beeps, which I already stated meant a power failure according to my mobo manual. But the thing is, I wasn't really hearing the beeps coming from the mobo itself. This sounds stupid, but it seemed like the drive itself had a built in "speaker" that was beeping. The sound wasn't "loud" so to speak but I could clearly hear the beeps. It wasn't anything like when I installed a video card one time and didn't connect the power. Those beeps were much louder, but then again it was a completely different board. I don't know what to say. I want to thank all of you for helping me troubleshoot this though. I really appreciate you sticking with this thread to help me.
December 10, 2007 10:28:33 AM

Kari said:
I wonder if the system would detect a short in the sata power lines in the HDD. It could trip the over current protection on the powersupply and maybe give you the power failure beeps...
Though so high current would probably melt the coatings on the wires aswell, or atleast heat them up considerably.
[/speculation]

I doubt it. I think that if the PSU detected some kind of overload problem, it would shut down (hopefully noncatastrophically). Once that happened, you would lose the PowerOK signal from the PSU, and that would forcibly reset the CPU.

If the beeps were coming from the drive - well, a SATS power connector feeds both 3.3 and 5 volts to the drive.Perhaps the drive was responding to the absence of one of the PSU voltages.
December 10, 2007 11:15:57 AM

bs6749 said:
I was thinking of using another PSU. The one I have now won't work for the job as it doesn't have all of the right connectors (need 2 SATA and my board has a 20 + 4 pin 12v system but the other PSU only has a 20 pin 12v).
Maybe you have an 8 pin connector, plug half of it into the ATX_12V on your motherboard.
!