Intel Pentium 'Quad' Core CPUs?

kittyhawk

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2007
Intel currently has Pentium Dual Core CPUs in the market.

Will Intel ever release a small cache (along with lesser features) version of the Core 2 Quad, and name it the Pentium Quad Core?

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
We're making a LOT of ES (engineering Samples) lately at our factory, and I think they're going to eventually produce a Pentium Quad Core line some time down the road. The most recent one we were testing was the Dual Core Celerons. So I imagine if the budget line up is getting ramped up to Dual Core and standardizes Intel's products as being all Dual Core, than eventually they'll make it all Quad Core. So yeah, I think Intel will; just not for a long time.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
So there are three name branding here. Celeron, Pentium, Core 2 then? while AMD has only two. Aside from server and other non-desktop.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Maybe because the E4500 is a fantastic chip for overclocking? The low FSB means it's very easy to get a very high clockspeed out of it.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I always think the same thing as kittyhawk. Why not put two E4*** series cpus together for a cheaper quad. Or the even lesser E2***s. Or the E6300 and make a q6300. Im not sure of they actually manucfactor the chips but i cant imagine it would be much different to put two lower binned dual cores together for a quad. escpially the 20s series chips that have the 4mb of cache

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

You miss the point, sheep. He's an Intel employee.....

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
didn't I read somewhere a while back that Intel was attempting to pull away from the "Pentium" branding, partially due to it's over-hyped under-performing chip that is "Pentium 4"?

hence why they have Centrino, Centrino Duo, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, and Core 2 Extreme??

one sec while I look for that... maybe they were just ditching the "4"

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

It's cheaper than most of the Core 2 Duos, has the M0 stepping which is good less heat, top it all of with over-clocking and it's really a good deal. $126 for it was not that bad in my book.

Intel is the kind of company that does not like to give its employees, Blue badges, or contracted employees, Green badges, which is what I am, discounts on anything any more unless you're one of the engineers.

Basically what I do is I'm a contracted employee through a temp agency, because I leave in January for Basic Training so I can not be considered a "full" employee, as that would mean me working there for a few years. Basically what my job is at Intel is to work in the NWPD, or as it was renamed, the OPD factory. It's located at Hawthorn Farm Campuss in Hillsboro, OR. Which is next to the widely known Jones Farm Campuss also in Hillsboro, OR. Check these links here...

Info on Hawthorn Farm

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/sites/oregon/hawthorn_farm_photos.htm

Info on Jones Farm

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/sites/oregon/jones_farm_photos.htm

Here's a picture of my Badge...

They spelled my last name wrong though. :p

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

SHASTA!

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Thats Grimey. Intel should give employee's a discount no matter what kind of employee you are. Im not saying they should give a huge discount but at least give out discounts to match the tray price. If i worked for them and i had to pay retail i would get mad and end up stealing stuff most likely

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Not to knock the e4500... it's a great chip, but with a 10x multiplier 2.86ghz (per Justin's rig) is cake. It's just odd to see it defended as a great overclocker with such a minimal (at least by core2 standards) overclock in place.