WGR614v5 and vista setup

jbmc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Hi, I just got a new pc with vista and am trying to set it up as access point. So far, I cant get a wireless light on the router to come on and produce signal. I also dont have the install cd but didn't know if that was needed. I can see that my local area connection status is working, are there settings that I have to change? my modem is a Mot. Surfboard SB5120, if that makes a difference. Any help will be appreciated.

G

You probably don't need the CD but I would suggest you download the manual from Netgear's site.

If your ISP service is cable, check that the router is one designed to work with a cable internet service (not ADSL).

Once you have established a link between your computer and the router (by ethernet cable) check that the wireless in your router is switched on and wireless security is turned off (until you have a reliable connection).

If you can't talk to the internet even with the router wired to the computer you will also need to get the router talking to the modem (usually by rebooting both). Check out any help available on your ISP's home site on how to deal with the modem or download manual from Motorola's site.

I see you have also posted on Netgear's forum -- see what the experts there have to say.

jbmc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
You probably don't need the CD but I would suggest you download the manual from Netgear's site.

If your ISP service is cable, check that the router is one designed to work with a cable internet service (not ADSL).

Once you have established a link between your computer and the router (by ethernet cable) check that the wireless in your router is switched on and wireless security is turned off (until you have a reliable connection).

If you can't talk to the internet even with the router wired to the computer you will also need to get the router talking to the modem (usually by rebooting both). Check out any help available on your ISP's home site on how to deal with the modem or download manual from Motorola's site.

I see you have also posted on Netgear's forum -- see what the experts there have to say.

Thanks for the help.

jbmc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

I can't find how and where to make sure the wireless is turned on. thanks again for the help. It seems that everything else is connected. In the "network and sharing ctr" I can see both the router and the modem's connections. But when I use vista's "setup a wireless router" wizard it tells me that it cant find any networks, I dont get it, is it vista's fault? the router worked fine with my old pc with xp.

G

You need to be more specific. If you've read the manual you'll know how to address the router's user interface.

It's boring to describe every step but it involves linking computer and router by ethernet cable, putting router's IP address (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) into your internet browser's address bar. Log in (User name admin) (Password password) and look for the wireless settings page.