cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Hi,
I just got these Corsair ram, (ddr2-800 @ 4-4-4-12) And I saw this label saying "epp ram"... When I googled it, it said these rams could run at 7-7-7-15 at DDR2-1066 speeds... How do I set this up?? Is it in the BIOS?? Cos I remember seeing something like, "EPP profiles" ... Is there something preconfigured for these rams??? How and where do I go about hitting DDR2-1066 speeds??? Please help me.. I am a total noob.

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
EPP ram has to be matched with an epp compliant motherboard in order for anything to happen. Supposed be able to chose >insane speeds at that point.

For more information, somebody who REALLY knows an answer will be with you soon.

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
It's not important at all.

just some pre-made profiles for the system to use to automatically set up the processor and memory speeds/timings at a "high performance" level.

You can do all the stuff EPP does manually, so it's not really justification to pay extra for EPP if you know what you're doing.
I have these profiles in my RAM but I used my own settings instead.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Can u suggest me some?? FYI, i am on P5K-C.. The original timings say 4-4-4-12.. but thats at DDR2-800 and they work fine at those speeds.. Also I am using Q6600.. If that makes a diff..
Will this ram ever work at DDR2-1066?? Please help.. And thank you for your input :)

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
@righteous...
dude.. but the damn thing refuses to boot up at manual settings!!! I set it at the 7-7-7-15.. even 8-8-8-21 setting.. but it still crashes... I can only get up to 833 speeds... any help would be appreciated..

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
On a slightly off-topic, do u guys seriously think "all" q6600's can run 3.6ghz?? I have a tough time running mine at 3.2... And thats at 3.5v.. What am i doing wrong?

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

it's got to be the voltage.

I agree with the other poster that 3.5 is way high as far as voltage goes.
have you tried around 2.1-2.2 volts?

I have no experience with the board you have but what is the board's rated max Front Side Bus?
The chip and RAM won;t do what the board won't support (that being the case).

Just some thoughts.All of the specs should be in the manual.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Yeah.. The board, like I said, is Asus P5K-C.. It can do 1333Mhz FSB.. Although, some have hinted it can do 1600Mhz... Anyways...
About CPU voltage, MY MISTAKE, I meant to say 1.30v.. (nothing changes at 1.35v)..
About ram, I have tried 2.0v, cause my ram states a max of 1.9v.. Right now I have it set on auto and i got no probs.. but I seem to hit a block at 3.2 on the processor,,, :(

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Ok, sorry, now I can focus....

Is it possible you;re confusing your ram for another model?

I have a pair in my other machine of corsair XMS2 Dominator pc6400 at 4-4-4-12 and the spec is 2.1 volts.
Sometimes a particular brand of memory won't work with a particular board, or the EPP might not work plain and simple. S*it happens. hehe

Corsair made this ram with different chips. The initial batch was made of the good micron d9 chips (I think that's what they are) which were kickass and are now still. They WILL run 1066 if they are these chips. After that they substituted with another brand which I won't get into, and they could not do near what the micron chips could do. They would overclock, but not half as much, and some just died like mine. hehe I had to do an RMA.

For the record, Corsair is awesome and will always accomodate you. They gave me no hassle and replaced my ram with better. I have had no problems since and it's all good.

It's weird, I noticed (maybe) they eliminated the pc2 6400 cl4 dominator, as I am having trouble finding them anymore (maybe not looking in the right place?) But they now sub it with pc8500 to the best of my knowledge, or the plain XMS (silver heatsink ones with non-EPP which are good too). I think there is also a CL3 model. I guess they are using the better chips now for the faster spec'd stuff nowadays, but I could be wrong.

This is information I have put together when a stick died on me and I peeked under the sink. :heink:
I later read more on the web in the asus forum and in the corsair forum so this has happened a few times that I know of on other boards too of varying chipsets, not just mine in specific, so could be...

Thing is that no one can argue with this.....if they spec Ram at 800mhz at 4-4-4-12 (for example) that's all it has to do really. Now if they really are EPP.......

Question:

When you go into your BIOS are there EPP options? Maybe an "SLI READY MEMORY" menu item or something to that effect?

On my nf590sli chipset I have these options. I am sketchy on my Intel Stuff with my past 2 machines being AMDs.
I would think there would be something telling you in BIOS about EPPs or Crossfire/sli memory or something that would give indication that it recognizes these EPPs of the RAM.

Post a CPUz screenshot in here. It will show EPPs if they are present.
I am interested in finding out what this is myself......

Seems recently, that there have been all kinds of issues with RAM in different boards.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Hi Sorry for the delay @righteous.. No, I do not find "EPP" written anywhere.. Neither in BIOS nor in CpuZ.. Some of my friends said that it probably does not work with non-Nforce chipsets... Although, it should still be able to run those settings "MANUALLY".. They say its mainly a BIOS feature, n might vary from board to board... Also, mine are NOT dominator series... They are the normal XMS2 rams... I also visited the shop and asked them about this... The owner seems to be knowledgable, and gave me a few timing tables to try... It does WORK!! Although at very very relaxed timings of 8-8-8-24!!! (@1066).. Is this worth it?? I hardly see any difference, and so I am back at 4-4-4-12 @800... Please advice..