Sign in with
Your question

BFG 8800 GT OC and Multi Monitor Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2007 6:36:07 PM

First off, I am very happy with the performance of the card (upgraded from a Geforce 7900) and everything works great from a single monitor perspective.

When I connect my secondary monitor it is recognized in display properties and I can select "Extend my Windows Desktop to this monitor", but nothing displays on the screen. I'm able to make resolution adjustments to the secondary monitor and applications I had previously designated to open in the 2nd monitor act as if they are displaying there. If I swap DVI ports and plug my main monitor into the one that has the secondary monitor it doesn't display either.

I had the exact same set up with the 7900 and had no problems. I'm using the latest non beta Nvidia drivers at this time. I have not updated my motherboard bios and I'm hoping it's just something simple that I'm overlooking.
December 14, 2007 5:01:14 PM

Either that DVI port is dead or its not being activated on the software end. I would check all the possible monitor options in the advanced view of the Nvidia dashboard type thing. It's either that or a squirrel is hiding behind your case and unplugs it everytime.
December 14, 2007 5:18:17 PM

Quote:
Either that DVI port is dead or its not being activated on the software end. I would check all the possible monitor options in the advanced view of the Nvidia dashboard type thing. It's either that or a squirrel is hiding behind your case and unplugs it everytime.
I agree with using the Nvidia software to try and configure and extended desktop. I know some cards are fussy about using the Windows check box to extend displays.
Related resources
December 15, 2007 1:57:26 PM

I'm starting to agree that I do have a bad DVI port. I've updated the motherboard bios and tried every setting available in both the windows control panel and Nvidia's, but I still have the same issue.

Here is a little more system information that may help.

Athlon 64 X2 +4200
MSI K8N Diamond Plus MB
2 GB OCZ ram
Standard Seagate SATA drive
Primary monitor - Dell 24" LCD at 1920x1200
Secondary monitor - Dell 21" LCD at 1600x1200
Windows XP Professional

At least I've heard BFG's warranty and tech support is good. Looks like I'll be giving them a call soon.
December 18, 2007 10:20:51 PM

i would be willing to bet that your dvi port is either damaged/dead or your monitor cable connections are defunct. i had a similar problem and i had both crap out on me, the dvi ports had physical dmg and my vga connector was on the fritz.
!