Sign in with
Your question

FSB reverts back to 200. Please help me fix this.

Last response: in Overclocking
May 4, 2008 1:12:29 PM

I've seen this topic before but I didn't pay it much attention.

I was running and OCing my E2160 fine between 3.0 and 3.2 over the last few days. I did a 9 hour small FFT Prime run yesterday. After that, I had a few random blue screens after attempting to download some new software. http://www.getpaint.net/

Now when I go into Bios and change stuff around the only thing that won't stay changed is the FSB. It always reverts back to 200 in Windows.

So far I have unplugged the power, pulled the battery and cleared the CMOS. I thought that would do it but I was wrong.

I know how to turn speedstep off and all that is done because I can load all my other OC settings including voltages and RAM values.

Thanks in advance for your time.
May 4, 2008 4:54:50 PM

i cant get my e2160 stable at 3.1Ghz.you need to up the NB and FSB voltage.have you mess with the ram yet?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2008 7:58:14 PM

Hmm... interesting. I have never had BSODs with Paint.NET it could be some driver or compatibility issue if Prime95 ran stable for 9hrs.

Go to BIOS and do this:
Go to Main BIOS screen
Press <F12>
Pick the setting that booted up the most number of times.
Save & Exit.

Your battery could be dead. This is rare (most batteries last ~3years) but I have seen this happen. Also what BIOS version?
Related resources
May 4, 2008 8:31:32 PM

I am currently in the process of pulling everything out of the case and putting it back together. I also bought a new battery so I'll let you know what happens after I'm up and running again.

My machine isn't even stable at stock settings, it randomly shuts down now.

F8b BIOS

Also keep in mind, I have tried every setting I can imagine. It won't even show a FSB of 210 in Windows. It consistently reverts back to 200.

But like I said, I'll get everything put back together and try with switching out the RAM. Until then, go Lakers!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2008 9:01:44 PM

Whats your PSU?
May 4, 2008 9:09:47 PM

Antec Earthwatts 500

Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 2x1MB
May 4, 2008 9:13:49 PM

Just a thought. Do you have any CPU software overclock progs that could be starting up with you knowing it? i.e clockgen etc..

If after wiping the CMOS you still get this problem i'd suspect it's a software problem. Have you tried doing a regfix scan?
May 4, 2008 9:39:09 PM

I also believe it's a software problem. I don't have anything like clockgen however. I did wipe CMOS and still had the problem.

Can you recommend a free regfix/scan?
May 4, 2008 9:58:46 PM

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-...

Is the version i have on this comp , ubt my seconday comp has the erm cracked more advanced version can't think off the top of my head what it is mind...

Have you tried rollling back to a previous restore point? Doesn't tend to do much just another easy thing to try out...
May 4, 2008 10:33:52 PM

I remember the last time the issue was due to the OS, Vista, or so I think. Are you running Vista?
May 4, 2008 11:10:56 PM

Yes I am running Vista.

I fixed the problem with a new battery in my MB but it could have been that I left the battery out for a few hours this time rather than 10 minutes when I tried to do my initial CMOS clear.

All is well again.

Thanks for the help.

I'm still going to use that reg clean.

Is there a better way to rid unwanted processes then going through each one and googling it?
May 4, 2008 11:15:26 PM

Unwanted processes? Like during startup?

Start -> Run -> Type "msconfig" -> Startup tab

Then click on the ones you are sure you don't need. Then hit apply and restart pc.
May 4, 2008 11:28:04 PM

Yeah that's what I mean. I just wondered if there was a better way to check what I needed and what I don't besides googling each one to see what it's for.

And, I'm running visa so I can do that in the Windows Task manager right?
May 4, 2008 11:37:32 PM

Weird things abound. PCMark05, and Vista system info both show me @ 3.5GHz. CPU-Z shows me at 3.1 which is correct because I'm running at 388x8.

May 4, 2008 11:41:23 PM

Dunkel said:
Yeah that's what I mean. I just wondered if there was a better way to check what I needed and what I don't besides googling each one to see what it's for.

And, I'm running visa so I can do that in the Windows Task manager right?

Dunno, I'm using XP.

By doing this, you can eliminate all programs you don't need at startup, not just currently.
May 4, 2008 11:42:27 PM

Dunkel said:
Weird things abound. PCMark05, and Vista system info both show me @ 3.5GHz. CPU-Z shows me at 3.1 which is correct because I'm running at 388x8.

I would trust CPUz over PCMark. Orthos shows my pc as 3GHz, even though I'm running 2GHz.
!