Sign in with
Your question

The effect of cache/buffer?

Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2008 12:16:14 PM

New hard drives come with 16MB or 32MB cache/buffer. Logic says the more, the better. But why doesn't it appear to have any effect on the speed of the drives in the charts on this site? The top 3 fastest I think all had 16MB cache.

Can someone explain me how the cache works in hard drives and where/how does it show up in performance?

More about : effect cache buffer

October 2, 2008 2:01:58 AM

Honestly, as long as there's more than 16mb, you're good. I've used hard drives with both sizes and I don't notice any difference.
Related resources
October 2, 2008 7:48:11 AM

Yeah, but I want to know why.
If there is a number supposed to describe the performance of a device, I want to know what it is. Same thing here, I'm looking for an explanation, there must be some reason why they always announce the amount of cache. If it were irrelevant, they'd probably leave it out.
a b G Storage
October 2, 2008 12:37:19 PM

Quote:
there must be some reason why they always announce the amount of cache.
To persuade you to buy their product rather than someone else's?
October 2, 2008 1:57:40 PM

I just wanted to know what that number is and what it means.
I ask a proper question and get nonsense. I'm a novice builder and I was told this forum is one of the best for information. I'm really surprised to see this type of comments.

a b G Storage
October 2, 2008 3:15:52 PM

Not nonsense - two serious answers. You have been told that someone who has used both finds no difference (which accords with what you have found from reviews). You ask why companies advertise the fact that their disks have more cache than some other companies - I gave you what I consider to be the only logical answer to your question.

Sorry if you don't like the fact that some "technology" is more to do with advertising than real life, but that's the way it is. Don't get all snooty when people try to help you - they won't do so next time you post.
October 2, 2008 5:35:44 PM

I'll repeat my question:
Can someone explain me how the cache works in hard drives and where/how does it show up in performance?
a b G Storage
October 2, 2008 6:03:35 PM

From the Tom's Hardware article:

"16 MB cache has no significant advantage over 8 MB across our benchmark suite"

Glad you've now discovered that the answers that you were given were correct.
October 2, 2008 6:54:05 PM

ijack, you can be very rude.
No one in this thread replied to my question. I wanted to know what cache is and how it works in hard drives. I'm interested in the technology.

What I got was "it doesnt matter". That's not what I was looking for, you've got to understand that. I wanted an explanation.

It's a pity that you have no interest in helping others, but just proving your point. I will hand it to you, you were correct in that cache apparently does not have much of an effect on hard drives' performance. I hope you are satisfied.
a b G Storage
October 2, 2008 7:09:40 PM

I can be far ruder than that if I put my mind to it.

You asked "where/how does it show up in performance". You got a perfectly reasonable answer to that (not from me).

You asked why manufacturers advertise the amount of cache. You got a perfectly reasonable answer to that (from me).

So, OK, you didn't get answers to all of your questions; but as you've discovered, you can easily Google that sort of thing. Big deal. Don't be so rude to people just because they don't answer everything that you ask. No-one here owes you anything.

I'll make a point of ignoring your questions in future. The end.
December 3, 2012 2:52:57 PM

Ijack said:
I can be far ruder than that if I put my mind to it.

You asked "where/how does it show up in performance". You got a perfectly reasonable answer to that (not from me).

You asked why manufacturers advertise the amount of cache. You got a perfectly reasonable answer to that (from me).

So, OK, you didn't get answers to all of your questions; but as you've discovered, you can easily Google that sort of thing. Big deal. Don't be so rude to people just because they don't answer everything that you ask. No-one here owes you anything.

I'll make a point of ignoring your questions in future. The end.

I Googled Ijack and it showed me pictures of a dude masturbating alone.
!