robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Hi everyone,

I know this has probably been asked a million times already, but i cant seem to get the search fuction to work!!!

I have recently built my 1st rig and everything seems to have worked fine, so now is the time to start overclocking. Before i do though, could one (or more) of you kind experts please cast your eyes over my stock temps and let me know if i am safe to crank it up a bit (aiming for an overclock of 3GHz.

I have run Prime95 torture test for just over 26 hours with no errors and the temps (from CPUID hardware monitor) are as follows:

Core 1 - 27 idle / 44 load
Core 2 - 26 idle / 44 load
Core 3 - 22 idle / 40 load
Core 4 - 25 idle / 42 load

Are these good???

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Rob.

P.S. My system.

GA-EP35-DS3R, Q6600, Antec 900, XIGMATEK HDT-S128, 512MB 8800GTS.

robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the speedy response. Thought they were OK, but being new to this i like a wee bit of reassurence from you experts.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Haha, speedy! Do me a favor and down load and run Core Temp, and list the VID and stepping/revision of your quad! That will make it easy as far as seeing how well your chip should OC, barring your hardware and junk.

--Lupi!

robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
OK - it a Q6600 G0. VID=1.2625v (according to CoreTemp), core voltage (according to CPUZ) is 1.216v and CPU Vcore (according to CPUID hardware monitor) is 1.22v

What program are you using to measure your temperatures? And how are you loading your CPU?

The reason I ask is because core #3 idle temp seems unreasonably low.

Load temps look pretty good. The Xigmatek HSF seems to have dethroned the Tuniq and Ultra HSF's and the Antec 900 is good at moving air even with the case fans set to Slow.

You should be able to OC to 3.3 GHz with vcore set to around 1.300 volts. Load temps should be 50 - 55 C.

I'm running an EP35-DS3P, Q6600, and TR Ultra 120 Ext. in an Antec 900 OC'd to 3.6 GHz. Vcore is set to 1.45 volts (droops to 1.40 volts). Load temps are around 60 - 65 C.

Strangely enough, case fan speed doesn't seem to have much effect on temps. That's a good thing because with case fans set to High, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
you should always set the voltage on manual.because the motherboard could be supplying insufficient or excessive amount of voltage to the part in your computer.

overclocking is a long winded task.but you get rewarded at the end with the success overclock and free speed boost!

good luck!

If those temps match with core temp they are excellent, Start clocking. 3.0 is easy.

just go into the bios.
Hit CTRL + F1 on the main screen(it should flash)
Go into MIT(Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker)
Set the FSB from auto to manual and enter 333
Look at the Memory frequency on the right side of the 2 numbers and make sure it does not go beyond the specs for your memory.

If it does use a divider(memory multiplier) to drop the speed in line. 2.0(dont ask why they did not just call it 1:1) will give you a 1:1 relation making the memory run at 667, play until you get what you want. While you are in there make sure your memory voltage is set according to OCZ(The default for the board is 1.8 so the board adds in 0.1 increments to that number). save and exit. This board will not increase the voltage on its own(At least the plain P35 DS3R will not so i assume your does not either) so its ok to leave the cpu at auto.

Keep us posted

EDIT...
had 2.4 and not 2.0 for 1:1, my bad

robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Haha.

Right upped FSB to 333 last night. Ran Prime95 for about 14 hours with temps as follows (temps from HWMonitor and CoreTemp - both agree):

Core 1 - 33 idle / 54 load
Core 2 - 34 idle / 54 load
Core 3 - 28 idle / 51 load
Core 4 - 32 idle / 51 load

Also I left the Voltages (Except for the RAM) on Auto. HWMonitor is telling me the min/max CPU VCORE was 1.25/1.31v.

So i am happy enough keeping the CPU clocked at 3MHz for now. Are those temps OK to run 24/7 without sending the CPU into ab early grave??

So next i guess i will try try to reduce the VCORE. Is it reasonable enough to assume that manually setting it to 1.25v (the min value from HWMonitor) is a good starting place for this?

Asides from the CPU and RAM voltages, shopuld i keep the rest on 'normal'?

Thanks for you help so far guys.

Rob.

Your temps are safe

You can try to drop the vcore to lower the temps a bit. 1.25 is a good place to start. If that is stable start 1 notch at a time down to find how low you can go. When its stable bump back to the last one and test again.

My voltage according to hwmon and speedfan is about 1.8(as low as 1.68) at load(it drops at load). 1.25 should be a good start.

Keep us posted

EDIT

Also make sure that in prime95 you turn on the option under "Advanced" -> "Round off checking"

robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Sorry i not got back to you - been working away all week.

So i set my vcore on 'normal' - which according to the bios is 1.2625v - and tested for about 8 hours and the max temp dropped to about 45ish (cant remember exactly, typing this a week later!!!).

The voltage measured by HWMonitor however was between 1.18-1.22v. Can someone please explain the difference in voltages to me please?

What does the "Round off checking" option in Prime95 do?

Cheers

Rob

Round off checking is just another check it does when stressing. some say its on automatically when you select torture test, but its safe to just force it to be sure.

the 1.22 down to 1.18 is called Vdroop. It happens at higher loads. This is normal but undesired for high overclocking since you need higher voltage(lets say selecting 1.525+ to get 1.5 at load). It should not effect you unless you plan to push 3.6+ at high voltages. Some higher end boards have features to stop vdroop, but once again, if you are happy with your clocks and its stable i would not worry. mine goes as low as 1.68

robjackson

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Cheers for all the help. Im gonna stick with the clock as it is for now. I will try to drop the voltage although the temp dont go above 45 when at load.