Sign in with
Your question

2 x 150gb Raptor raid 0 or 300gb Velociraptor ?

Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2008 2:46:28 PM

I've been having a few problems with my computer shutting down in games and have sent it back to Cyberpower a couple of times but it keeps coming back worse.
They have replaced everything in it now bar the hard drive and are going to change my 2 150gb raptors which are in raid (0) for a 300gb velociraptor. Now I am wondering if there will be any difference in performance between the two setups. Any thoughts appreciated .
a c 361 G Storage
October 1, 2008 3:12:52 PM

That is a very good option. About the only advantage of RAID0 is that it can be marginally faster than a single drive. But replacing regular Raptors with a Velociraptor may give you almost the same advantage.

Meanwhile you will get rid of one of the real risks of RAID0. With RAID0 only half your info on each file is stored on each drive, so you MUST have BOTH drives working. Any failure on one drive wipes out the entire file, and possibly the entire drive array so you lose EVERYTHING! The probability of losing one drive out of two is twice as bad a losing one drive out of one. So this change makes your system slightly less liable to lose it all.
a c 180 G Storage
October 1, 2008 3:26:12 PM

Jump on the velociraptor.
It's faster, quieter, and gives you more storage.

There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...
There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them.

For what it's worth, I doubt that replacing the hard drives will solve your problem.
Shutting down in games is usually a vga card problem:
VGA card may be defective.
VGA driver is bad.
The PSU may be delivering inconsistent or marginal power.
There is a cooling problem in the case or VGA card.

Related resources
October 1, 2008 3:32:31 PM

I have swapped 8800 ultras for 280 gtxs and still has same problem also all new and beta drivers.The mother board has been swapped a couple of times as well as the power supply. They don't seem to be able to work out the problem is but I think it might be a vista 64 problem.
a b G Storage
October 1, 2008 4:04:26 PM

I'd say neither. If it were me, I'd get the WD 640 GB HDD for only $80. If you really want to get crazy, put 2 or more drives in RAID 0.

There seems very little advantage to paying so much for such a little gain.
a c 180 G Storage
October 1, 2008 4:06:32 PM

You have plurals in your vga descriptions which implies that you are using SLI and therefore a Nvidia chipset.

A single GTX280 should run anything well. Try using just one card.
I understand that some Nvidia chipsets are problematic.
Because things work well, except under load, I doubt that vista-64 is the problem.
October 1, 2008 5:39:40 PM

I've tried using one card and still games crash almost straight away.
October 1, 2008 5:55:03 PM

What are you using for a PSU?
October 1, 2008 6:05:14 PM

From looking at your PC config, 2 things pop up as potential problems; 1 being the obvious OC. But I'm going to take a guess that with all the things you've tried, you've tried playing games @ CPU specs and not OC specs.

The other thing is the damn X-Fi... I have 1, and it was hell for a while on Vista, Creative are being morons about their Vista drivers. I had to get a hold of the hacked drivers. But then I had to reformat (pre-SP1) and couldn't find them anymore. but at least with SP1 and the latest Creative drivers, I haven't had an issue with the sound/random blue screen on creative drivers. I'd try removing the sound card and using onboard sound for some quick tests.

You also didn't mention if you tried different RAM, try memtest or equivalent and stress'em good.

As for the Hd question, go for the Velociraptor. I have 2x 150GB Raptors, and they were in Raid 0 for a while, but after corruption twice and losing EVERYTHING, I'm using them as seperate drives now. Haven't had a problem since.
October 1, 2008 7:34:33 PM

I've already removed the sound card when I got the cooler as you can't have both.I'm using onboard sound now.As for the overclock yes it still crashes at stock settings. Various driver messages normally like Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, and has successfully recovered .But i've cleared using driver cleaner and tried different drivers and same problem.
October 1, 2008 7:47:53 PM

You have no mention of your PSU. Could you tell us what you are running for a PSU?
October 1, 2008 8:15:02 PM

Tagan 1100w turbojet replaced from a coolermaster 1000w
a b G Storage
October 1, 2008 8:45:28 PM

You already have 2 raptors in RAID?

It's not worth the money to replace them. A velociraptor is the better choice for a new system, but it isn't worth changing out the pair of raptors unless there is something wrong with them.
October 1, 2008 8:49:08 PM

No I won't have to pay .Cyberpower have my computer and are trying to find the fault and are about to swap the 2x 150ggb raptors for the velociraptor just wanted to know that this will be as good as the raid0
a b G Storage
October 2, 2008 3:00:27 PM

fergie said:
No I won't have to pay .Cyberpower have my computer and are trying to find the fault and are about to swap the 2x 150ggb raptors for the velociraptor just wanted to know that this will be as good as the raid0

Definitely get the velociraptor then.

Dagger: while the transfer rate on that 1.5TB may be as high as a velociraptor, it can't even come close for seek time and random access, which is usually the bottleneck anyways. The velociraptor will still flatten that 1.5TB drive for normal use.
October 3, 2008 4:10:19 AM

geofelt said:
Jump on the velociraptor.
It's faster, quieter, and gives you more storage.

More storage? last i heard 150+150 was 300gb? formatted they will be practically the same.

OP: Your computer crashing during games is not likely to be a hard drive issue. Youve swapped everything out, but im hoping you have reinstalled windows at some point during all of this? I know this might sound silly but it could be something with the case as well, shorting out on something.
October 4, 2008 7:18:53 PM

Have you ever checked your ram for errors?
a c 180 G Storage
October 4, 2008 9:04:23 PM

chookman said:
More storage? last i heard 150+150 was 300gb? formatted they will be practically the same.

OP: Your computer crashing during games is not likely to be a hard drive issue. Youve swapped everything out, but im hoping you have reinstalled windows at some point during all of this? I know this might sound silly but it could be something with the case as well, shorting out on something.

OOPS! I spoke like a politician. 150gb + 150gb = 300gb.
I stand corrected there.
!