What antivirus would you recommend for Win98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I currently have Clamwin, but I don't like it (no real-time protection, not very user-friendly). But I can't find any others that are current and support Win98; any ideas?

I thought about downloading older versions that are compatible (like from OldApps), but would the virus definitions still be current enough to offer adequate protection?

Thanks for any help you can give!

As you suggested, old virus software would not be updateable because of the the latest virus definition files being incompatible.

In order to have better online security you really should consider upgrading to a new or used computer which runs a more up-to-date version of Windows, or certainly nothing older than Windows XP which most security software developers are still supporting.

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks Phil, but I'm into legacy computing. Alot of people seem to be confused by that...it's really no different than someone who has a classic car that they like to drive once in awhile, just for a "blast from the past".

What I may have to do though is keep my browsing very generic...no logging into email or any other sites with personal info. That way if I get a virus, at least I haven't compromised any personal info.

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
In my original post, I stated that I have Clamwin, but I'm not satisfied with it (no real-time protection, quarantined items folder too hard to find, etc). But it looks like I might be stuck with it, unless someone knows of another kind?

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.