Great deal on Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I don't really understand your viewpoint: My Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 is some of the best memory I've tested, and I even got two kits 9 months apart. Both go over 1200 MHz data rate at CAS 5 and 800 at CAS 3.

What kind of crap would you promote?

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
ummm.... I think you took that the wrong way man. Why in the world do you think I wasted my time starting this thread..... it's friggin Crucial.... for $40!!!!

WTF do you think I am promoting? Crucial man!!! For 40 **** dollars. You don't normally see a low latency pair of Crucial memory for anything near that price, and it will run on just about any config..... it's great memory.

monste4321

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
is it worth it to get 2 sets of balistic 2 x 1 gig sticks for a total of 4 gigs or is it more worth it to just buy a 2x2 gig set of some ocz titanium or reaper

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
if it's close to the same price I would go for the 4gb sets. This deal might not be for everyone, but for anyone on a budget it's outstanding. To be able to get your mits on some Crucial that is pretty low latency for DDR2 for $40 isn't bad at all.

If it's your personal system, and money isn't as much of an issue, I would go with the 2Gb sticks because it will leave room to add more in the future if you are running a 64bit OS.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Well, if it's an Intel system then I would go with whichever you want. If it was an older AMD system, I would go with 2 sticks. I don't think Intel systems new or old have any issues with 4 stick installed. A couple of my old X2 systems didn't like tight timing with all for slots occupied.

Honestly though, unless there is a performance advantage of having 2 sticks over 4, then I would just go with 4.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Oh.... really. So, it's not just AMD then. I would go with two in that case. I knew some of my older boards didn't like to install windows with 4 sticks, or they wouldn't run with tight timings, and some wouldn't run very well at all regardless of settings. But I haven't had a lot of experience with Intel systems so I wasn't sure.

Since I will now be building my second Intel system.... that is good information to know.

Thanks Crash.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I don't own that board. I do know that several Gigabyte P35 boards are rumored to have a problem with four modules, but I don't know which boards or which modules are affected.