jpb21

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
First of all, apologies for a long post but hopefully providing more complete information will be helpful in fixing this problem.

My issues started a couple months ago, had been having problems periodically with random reboots (sometimes with a hang for a couple seconds before crashing, never any file corruption). I suspected overheating as the main problem, since my CPU (Athlon 64 X2 4800) I found would occasionally hit near 60c under full load. Got a new heatstink and fan and cleaned the whole case out (and the ambient temperature dropped) and things got better, though I would still occasionally have the same problems.

Since a few weeks ago the restarts started becoming more frequent, so I started to wonder if my computer had not been permanently damaged from its ordeal in the summer months. Tested RAM extensively and it always came out good, power supply I had gotten over the summer, so I suspected an issue with mobo/cpu/gfx card.

I decided to make sure everything was clean on the inside, so last Thursday I opened my case up and gave it a cursory dusting. When I plugged back in and turned on the computer again, it would not boot. When I plugged in the power cord and flipped on the switch in the back (this is before hitting the power switch), all the lights on my keyboard and mouse would go on and stay on, unable to turn anything off. Hitting the power switch all the fans turn on, sounds like hd spins up, but no output whatsoever to the screen (got the "no signal" message).

Alright, I thought rather foolishly, one of the mobo/cpu/gfx card have finally died, and it had been awhile since I had put this computer together, I may as well upgrade. So new parts arrived in the mail a few days ago (Athlon 64 X2 5600+, Gigabyte MA790X-DS4, ASUS EAH3870), I install and then find much to my horror that the same exact problem exists. The only holdovers from my old configuration are the hd, dvd, psu (Seasonic M12 700), memory (2gb of Patriot PDC22G6400LLK), and of course the case.

So far I've tried:

-Booting with mobo outside of computer and on an anti-static surface (its packaging)
-Using a different psu
-Using only one stick of memory (tried both individually), switching memory slots

In each case the problem persists, no change at all. Honestly at this point I have no idea what to do. I would think that the video card/cpu/motherboard are not the issue, unless one of them came DOA. If memory is the issue, it must have been fried when I opened up my computer, because always in the past it had been completely error-free. With testing mobo outside the case I can assume it's not a problem with the board grounding. And the fact that the lights on my keyboard/mouse turn on and stay on each time really surprises me (normally this only would happen for a brief moment while loading up into windows).

Also a couple notes, when I took the new motherboard out after initially installing I found that I had one extra standoff (which had apparently been there too on my old board), but I checked its position and it wouldn't have been contacting any of the solder bits on the back of the new mobo, so I doubt it would have caused much of a problem. Also unfortunately I have no pc speakers so if there are any beeps, I can't hear them. I'll be seeing what I can do to get that issue fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone could offer.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
-Booting with mobo outside of computer and on an anti-static surface (its packaging)
I think the anti-static bag is actually conductive. That could have been a bad move.

Honestly, at this point it sounds to me like you don't have everything plugged in. Usually this is a result of the CPU power (the 4 pin connector with 2 yellow and 2 black wires) not being connected. Another thing to check is stand-offs... make sure you are using the exact amount needed by your motherboard... no more, and if you can help it, no less. If you are certain that everything is connected correctly, try a new power supply.

Do you have a system speaker plugged in? This will give you POST beeps if everything is at least connected correctly. If the speaker is hooked up and you don't hear any beeps, there could be a few problems:

1. You have a piece of dead hardware. (Most likely the Motherboard or RAM)
2. Your motherboard isn't on stand-offs or there is something shorting it out.
3. Your PC speaker is dead... but that still doesn't explain why you can't boot.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
You've already bought a new motherboard,cpu and graphics card.The only 2 things remaining are the memory and power supply.