Hurrah for a successfull first-time build! ALONE!!!

GarmaZed

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Everything but the video card came in for my build yesterday, and I have to make a note here: Huge Success.

The only noob/stupid thing I did throughout the assembly was put the processor in wrong for a second (one 90 degree turn clockwise off). I even closed the lid on my 775 socket, AND locked it, before I realized this, it freaked me out?!?!? After that, I had to finish the build and atleast get it into BIOS to make sure everything was okay.

2 hours later, and after a short session of trial and error, then getting a flashlight to re-check the front panel connections on the MOBO, then dropping in my spare Radeon X300 from the old computer, the thing came to life! All fans were spinning, it recognized the hard drive that was attached (I didn't plug in the DVD burner at the time). The splash screen for the MOBO came on, it checked all the PCI slots and recognized the memory, then asked me for the boot disk.

So, after all this, I still have to ask since I don't think the BIOS gave me any settling confirmation: is my processor fine, do you think? What could I do to check this? I looked at the pins in the socket and on the CPU, already and didn't find anything unusual.

Other than that, huge success! Yay!

Components are:
MOBO - P35 board from Gigabyte
Processor - Core 2 Duo E4600
Memory - 2GB G.Skill kit DDR2 800MHz
Video Card - EVGA 8800GT OC'ed (hopefully, it arrives today)
HDD - Seagate 250GB SATAII
DVD Burner - Samsung 20x SATAII