Hard drive didn't come with any cables.

kommakazi06

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
It didn't come with any cables or anything with the hard drive itself.
What cables do i need to install this?

First time installing a hard drive lol.
Sorry if that's totally a noob question
:p

Here's the hard drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
You just need a SATA cable. They can be found at Newegg, but you can probably get one at your nearby computer store (the shipping on cables is outrageous, but it might take as much gas to drive to a computer store and back LOL):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812104060

I'm assuming your motherboard has SATA onboard? I've heard of people ordering the wrong hard drive before, so I just want to make sure. Newer motherboards have 4-6 SATA and one IDE (for DVD drives), older motherboards might have 2 SATA and 2 IDE. You probably have SATA ports, but if you ordered a SATA drive when you needed IDE, then you can return it to Newegg. SATA's much better than IDE.

Keep in mind when ordering in the future, OEM drives are sold with no cables, retail drives come with cables and a CD with software you can otherwise download from WD etc. in the first place.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
You also need a power cable. Should at least be a molex to sata power cable adapter. Take another look in the box. You should also have an installation CD with data transfer software as well as the cables themselves. If you bought the drive as OEM then you won't have the extras. If you bought the one you linked to then call Newegg bck and ask for your additional items.

kommakazi06

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
This is my mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

The mobo came with 3 pairs of red wires,black data cable

kommakazi06

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I ordered the mobo and hard drive together. mobo came with wires and an installation disc,but the hard drive didn't come with anything...it was just thrown in the shipping box.

The red cables are SATA cables and are what you are looking for.
One side will plug into the hard drive, the other into a corresponding port on the motherboard.

The other item you may (but probably will not need) is a 4 pin MOLEX to SATA power adaptor.
All modern PSU's have SATA power connectors on their lines.

C250-2138-rn.jpg

kommakazi06

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
The 4 pin molex (red,yellow,black) came with the motherboard.
but it has 3 connectors.
I just assumed that it was for the mobo

kommakazi06

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
quotemsg=1751902,8,125093]The red cables are SATA cables and are what you are looking for.
One side will plug into the hard drive, the other into a corresponding port on the motherboard.

The other item you may (but probably will not need) is a 4 pin MOLEX to SATA power adaptor.
All modern PSU's have SATA power connectors on their lines.

http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/C250-2138-rn.jpg[/quotemsg]

Thank you!

I'm not building the comp yet,
but i want to make sure i have all the materials so when i do build it,
i won't have to wait :)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Sorry, I was assuming you were adding a drive to an older PC, so I didn't assume you had a new motherboard with SATA cables. I was more concerned you might have ordered the wrong drive for an older PC. I had a friend do that and I had to go out with him to get an IDE to SATA adapter at Fry's.

People who've not added a hard drive before are often adding them to PC's that a computer store built for them, or else a Dell, HP, Gateway etc. Good luck with your first build. If you have any problems, then post and someone will help.

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
As everyone else said, you can pick SATA cables up at any computer store.

Newegg has them for $2 USD. But shipping is almost 300% at $7 USD

It might be easier to buy them at a store