Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Blue screen of death

Last response: in Windows XP
May 7, 2010 4:30:26 PM

Hello,
im running windows xp home edition sp3. while shutting down, my kid switched the pc off by the main switch. im getting a loop of starting up over and over and iv tried every option in advanced, ssafe mode etc, i just keep getting this loop of starting again and again. i got the bsod with unmountabe boot volume and a code, went to microsoft and the code cannot be found, i retyped it 3 times to make sure id typed it right and got error code not found. im using a netbook to find a resolution and i dont have any connectors to my pc. i havnt installed any new hardware or software and my gut is telling me that its because of the pc being swithced off by the mains during shutdown because i had no problems untill this happened. if i cant get my pc to switch on, how do i sort it out. my windows disc wont work.

More about : blue screen death

May 7, 2010 5:00:35 PM

Quote:
unmountabe boot volume

This means the system hard drive has failed. Been there.
m
l
May 7, 2010 5:33:48 PM

so i need to replace my hard drive then?
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2010 5:39:51 PM

iv got another hard drrive but i tried to connect it before and had no luck, my system diddnt recognise it. maybe it was a waste of money but i do still have it, just not sure what iv got to do coz iv never done it before. any help would be much appreciated.
m
l
May 7, 2010 5:43:59 PM

caseym_72 said:
so i need to replace my hard drive then?

If the error message is unmountable boot volume, the hard drive is inoperable. The drive's controller has likely failed.
m
l
May 7, 2010 5:59:42 PM

thanks badge. while i think i understand what you mean, im no comp boff, this is new territory for me so forgive me for being completely dumb :)  does that mean i need to replace my hard drive?????? and if so, how do i do that, (simple answers please) i can open my tower and connect it fine but what do i do then? i tried add new hardware and i got all these options to choose from and i was baffled, it couldnt find it and told me to find from a list of manufacturers and i was like, woah! so i put the old one back on!!!! it diddnt come with instructions. i just assumed i could connect it n go !!! hehe
m
l

Best solution

May 7, 2010 6:22:32 PM

Yes, replace the hard drive. That is if the error message is unmountable boot volume.

You will need to reinstall Windows XP on the new hard drive. You will need the Windows XP installation disk. If you have never installed the Windows operating system before, I would recommend getting help from someone who has and watching and learning how to do the prcedure.

clean install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

To perform a clean installation of Windows XP, follow these steps:
Back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP. Save the backup to an external location, such as a CD or external hard disk.
Start your computer from the Windows XP CD. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note To boot from your Windows XP CD, the BIOS settings on your computer must be configured to do this.
When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
Read the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then press F8.
Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows XP Setup.
If you have successfully installed Windows XP, you are finished. If these steps did not help you install Windows XP, go to the "Next Steps" section.
May 7, 2010 6:31:01 PM

i had a bad virus on my pc which is why i got a new hard drive, because i couldnt install it, i wiped windows off my old one and reinstalled it and my pc was fine so i reckon i could do it again. thank you very much, you have been very helpful and im going to try that. watch this space tho, any probs and ill be back !!!!!!!!! ;) 
m
l
June 13, 2010 7:42:25 AM

Best answer selected by aford10.
m
l
!