Distinguished
May 5, 2008
does it really make sense to opt for liquid cooilng
when there are options like thermalright 120 ultra & ultra exteme

kindly comment

blotch

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Yes, if you also plan on cooling your GPU(s) or some other part like your NB or Memory. Also if you really like overclocking it could be quite useful. I don't use it primarily do to the price and a water cooled comp being hard to transport constantly.
If you are only going to cool a CPU and it wont be OC'ed to an insane speed then a good HSF will be fine. I have a Q6600(G0) at 3.5(1.5V) and it doesn't overheat. If I was looking for 3.6+ then i would need water or something more crazy to keep it cool.

Yes.
It will remove more heat from the entire system allowing all of your componets to operate cooler and potentialy OC further.
A good water cooler will allow you to keep your componets far cooler than any air cooler.

random1283

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
Only if like blotch said you want the cool many components of your computer. otherwise for most people air cooling is more "viable"

blotch

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I OC'ed a PD920 2.8GHz to 4.0GHz(1.4V) with my Zalman 9700 and AS5 and it ran fine. It's actually still at 4.0GHz in a comp i built for my sister using a Zerotherm BTF 90 i think to cool it.

EDIT: well this reply was in response to outlw6669 picking on the ability of the Netburst architecture's ability to be a space heater but he has since changed that reply completely.