Your question

air cooling v/s liquid cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
May 5, 2008 7:17:58 AM

does it really make sense to opt for liquid cooilng
when there are options like thermalright 120 ultra & ultra exteme

kindly comment
May 5, 2008 7:40:03 AM

Yes, if you also plan on cooling your GPU(s) or some other part like your NB or Memory. Also if you really like overclocking it could be quite useful. I don't use it primarily do to the price and a water cooled comp being hard to transport constantly.
If you are only going to cool a CPU and it wont be OC'ed to an insane speed then a good HSF will be fine. I have a Q6600(G0) at 3.5(1.5V) and it doesn't overheat. If I was looking for 3.6+ then i would need water or something more crazy to keep it cool.
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2008 7:40:16 AM

Yes.
It will remove more heat from the entire system allowing all of your componets to operate cooler and potentialy OC further.
A good water cooler will allow you to keep your componets far cooler than any air cooler.
Related resources
May 5, 2008 7:49:04 AM

Only if like blotch said you want the cool many components of your computer. otherwise for most people air cooling is more "viable"
May 5, 2008 8:05:05 AM

I OC'ed a PD920 2.8GHz to 4.0GHz(1.4V) with my Zalman 9700 and AS5 and it ran fine. It's actually still at 4.0GHz in a comp i built for my sister using a Zerotherm BTF 90 i think to cool it.

EDIT: well this reply was in response to outlw6669 picking on the ability of the Netburst architecture's ability to be a space heater but he has since changed that reply completely.
May 6, 2008 7:41:09 AM

can you recommend some relible liquid cooling kits?
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2008 8:04:03 AM

My first (and current) water setup uses this Swiftech kit.
It comes with everything you need to get it running, sans a dremmel to cut the holes for the tubes.
I would highly recommend it as a great starter kit that has room to upgrade with.
!