using retail install os then OEM install?

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
i was just needing to know if i take a blank hdd and put 32-bit windows vista home basic on it and then a month later i buy an OEM of 32-bit vista home premium, will i be able to install the OEM over the retail disk installed (not wanting to dual boot)? i dont want to keep home basic but its the only retail (reusable) OS disk i have and i would like to have home premium. im building/buying a pc today and tomorrow but i dont have the bank to get the OEM vista premium so i have to use a retail vista basic until i can get the cash. thanks for any help/advice before hand

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That could be problematic, but there is a way to completely rule out the question.

Download Ultimate Boot CD and run Active @ Kill Disk. You will need to burn the ISO to CD with ISO Recorder or other ISO burning software.

Active @ Kill Disk will zero write the whole drive and make it like new.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
first i should ask is it possible to install a retail disk on more than one pc? because i bought vista basic for my moms pc but i need a os for this build

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Not with Basic Home. I think the Ultimate has multiple installs. I refuse to use Vista, so I'm not up on the specifics. I'm sure the MS Vista page will give you the specifics.

They are quite prickish about installing unauthorized multiple copies, and rightly so.

You may kill your mothers copy so I wouldn't do it.

Don't you have an old copy of XP lying around?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS - WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC, WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM, WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.”
A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may
use the software on up to two processors on that device at one time. Except as provided in the
Storage and Network Use (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on any
other device.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
yeah i found pretty much the same thing. micro$oft are whores when it comes to money. ill just order the vista 32-bit premium OEM with my build. thanks man

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
A brand new OEM XP Home with preinstalled SP3 is $89 USD (same as Retail but no dirrct support from MS on the "help" function...big deal.)
XP uses alot less ram,no campatibility issues and runs rings around Vista.

XP does not come with DX-10 but if you look around you can still use DX-10 with XP if you really want it.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
DON'T PANIC!!

It was just a matter of time before a XP evangelist appeared.

32-116-511-03.jpg

The best thing to do is to just ignore them.