Best 3rd party ATI MFR?

forsayken

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Hi all,

In your past experiences, which manufacturers of ATI boards are your favourite? I've usually ended up with ATI reference boards but with the 3870's, there are so many other brands that are cheaper (and available); just wondering if they are still worth picking up or if they are a little sketchy. I know Sapphire, Powercolor and HIS are a pretty safe bet. I've always heard generally good things from them. What about Diamond or Visiontek?

I think all of the 3870's are dual slot due to big coolers. Are there any that are single slot? I think that's ideal for me but doesn't matter too much.

Thanks!

zodiacboyscorp

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Another vote for Visiontek.

Stay away from Sapphire. I have not been impressed with them, both overheated on stock voltage. Last card from saphire x850xt. Current card Visiontek 3870

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Ive had a few (3) 3rd party ATi cards.

Gecube are so far my favourite, but I had a Saphire 9250 that refused to die (I short circuted is twice when mucking around inside an active computer, won't try it again) or give up (ended up being replaced so I could play BF 2142).

But that was a silent card, the fan on my other saphire eventually died, taking the 9500 with it (yes I liked the 9xxx series).