Putting more DDR ram into an overclocked system

tobias_jacobsen

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Hey guys.

Here's my question for you.
I want to put more memory into my pc. Atm I have 2x512 Dual Channel with 2 more slots free.

Would it be possible to get a stable system with an extra 2x512 dual channel ram from another manufactorer?

My specs are:

P4 3Ghz (800FSB) overclocked to 3,5Ghz
FSB are running at 233Mhz (syncrone) with 2x Corsair XMS Pro PC4000 DDR ram running at PC3700.
Abit IC7 Max3 motherboard

A friend tells me that I absolutely need new 2x1gb ram, because the motherboard cant handle 4xmemory when overclocked. Is that true?

EDIT: Ups. I might have posted in the wrong section. Sorry...

It is true to some extent. It can be difficult to get 4 sticks of identical memory to run even at their rated speed.
Strike 1
You are adding memory that is different from what you already have.
Strike 2
You are overclocking.
Strike 3

Not to say that it absolutely will not work, but you are more than likely to have problems, and undesirable results.

tobias_jacobsen

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Okay. Thanks for the advice. A question then. Lets say I run Windows Xp and using my computer for office and games. Running office applications the 2x512 are more than enough. What I dont know though. what about games? Putting a Nvidia 7600GT in the system and running a game like Call of Duty 4 or some other new game. Does they consume more than the 2x512 can offer?

EDIT: I know it depends on a lot of factors but considering that my system isnt a Dualcore CPU with DDR2ram, PCI-express and other new technologies, are 2x1gb dualram overkill?