Problem with combination of GeForce 8600GT GLH and MSI K9N NEO V3

karvus

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Hi,

I have a strange (in my eyes) with some components I got today, which include an MSI K9N NEO V3 and a Gainward GeForce 8600GT GLH.

The problem is that when I try to boot, I get the 1 long 8 short beeps during post from the AMI BIOS, which means missing or defective graphics adapter.

The strange part is that when I plug the same graphics card into other systems (including for example an Asus P5B with an Intel E6400, and an old Dell Dimension 8400) the card works flawlessly. Vice versa, when I plug graphic cards from those systems (including a GeForce 8800GTX and a GeForce 7300GS) into the new MSI motherboard, that also works flawlessly.

So it seems that neither the motherboard nor the graphics card is faulty, but some strange problem occurs when trying to use them together.

In case it matters, I'm using a named 450W PSU, an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, and two Corsair CMX1024-5400C4, and with one of the other graphics cards plugged in I upated the BIOS with the latest version.

I don't know what to try next, any ideas from you lot?

Best regards,

Thomas Stenhaug

karvus

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I've tried with several PSUs as well, including the NorthQ one that drives my overclocked 8800GTX in another, with the same result. :/

akhilles

Splendid
Did you update the mobo bios before this problem started? Try clearing the cmos. Unplug power cord for a few mins. Press case power button to discharge anything in capacitors. (Good psu will hold some power in there right after unplugging power cord, in which case, pressing case power button will flash the fan & lights a split second).