Looking for a Good CPU Fan to Go With a Q6600 Quad Core

blackstar_deceiver

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
First time posting here, and I couldn't seem to find a thread related to this.

My boyfriend just got me a new power supply, motherboard, and tower for Christmas this year. Right now it's sitting in the shop getting the parts swapped from my old computer (I was too much of a chicken to do it myself).
I apologize because I can't remember the model of the motherboard for the life of me, other than the fact it's an Asus ATX, and what the specs were. The case is an Apevia X-Cruiser, and the Power supply is the Apevia Iceberg 680W. My old tower was a Sony Vaio from a couple years ago, with a factory fan, and an Intel D820 Processor. I plan on upgrading my RAM later, once I get my processor replaced. I plan on using it for gaming (I have a Radeon X1950 Pro video card, and want to add another later), but I don't plan on overclocking it, as I have no clue how and I don't know anyone that does (and I don't want to pay anyone to do it). I was looking at the Intel Q6600 Quad Core, but I'm having trouble figuring out what fan will work best with it. I would really really like it to have red LED's or at least have the actual color of the fan be red (it needs to match!) I have been looking at a couple of different ones, but I don't know if they will be powerful enough to keep this chip cool. I don't really have a price range, but I'd rather not spend more than $100 (CAD). One other question too, as I am relatively new to computer building: If I change out my chip, will it cause me to reload my OS? If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for run-on sentences!

Welcome - and you posted in the right place.

Zerotherm BTF90 92MM Copper Heatsink/Fan $60
Good cooling, 92mm sized for almost any case and RED LEDs in the fan.
And its also shaped like a butterfly.

btf90.jpg

A CPU change all by itself would not need an OS re-install. The new motherboard is a whole 'nother story.
You might be able to get by with a OS Repair - boot up in SAFE mode or boot by OS CD and get the necessary new drivers installed that way.

blackstar_deceiver

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
This is actually one of the ones I was looking at, but was having trouble finding compatibility. Another one that I was just checking out was the Zalman Fatal1ty FS-C77. It seems like a lot of places are out of stock on the butterfly one ><
The butterfly is really pretty though ,haha

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Talk about overpriced...not worth the cooling either when you can get a thermalright ultra 120 extreme and s-flex sff21f around the same price if not a little more. Or a Thermalright Ultima 90 and sff21f for the same price. There are no looks, but the performance is there ^_^.

blackstar_deceiver

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I don't care so much about the price, I just need something that gets the job done, and looks good doing it :)
And apparently this one is in stock at Tiger Direct, so I'm liking this one a lot. Thanks for the advice so far all :)

blackstar_deceiver

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Nice, but NewEgg doesn't ship to Canada :(
Thanks for the links to the other sites though, because I am looking for all kinds of different mods for my case.

blackstar_deceiver

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
ASUS P5K ATX LGA775 P35 DDR2 2PCI-E16 3PCI 1PCI-E1 SATA2 Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard

That's the info on the new motherboard. Had to wait till I got home to figure it out.