Will Zalman 9500 or 9700 fit Asus P5K/EPU board?

marrsieboy

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I am most interested in your question. I am sure that by now you have resolved any difficulties since I also have an ASUS P5K/EPU mb in a Lian-Li P60 case and have just fitted a Zalman CNPS9700-LED CPU Cooler with no difficulties at all as regards space. Fits nice and snug and looks great. I am assuming that you have now fitted a Zalman 9500 or 9700.

Having fitted this cooler after having recovered a hard drive software problem which I believe is now fixed I encountered some problems. When I installed the Zalman cooler I had to take my mb out to fit the cooler and reinstall everything in the case.

Now when I start the machine I don't get past the BIOS startup. On the Asus board the CPU fan cooler connection is a four pin socket. The Zalman comes with only a three pin connection. When I questioned this with the suppliers (Overclockers) their reply was that the Zalman came with an adapter. No such adapter came with the package. On further questioning the supplier they said I only needed to connect the three pins!!

In the ASUS P5K/EPU manual the CPU fan cooler connections are: 1 - Gnd; 2 - CPU Fan Power; 3 - CPU Fan In; 4 - CPU Fan Pwm.

I have connected the Zalman to pins 1,2 and 3 with 4 unconnected. When I power up all the fans run fine, the board power on (green) light comes on and all appears to be going fine but I do not get any beeps from the bios. My initial thoughts are that I may have failed the POSTs due to the fact that the bios cannot detect any CPU cooler.

I apologise for the long statement but have you done the same or something different to get the Zalman working in your system satisfactorily?

Do you need to connect different pins and/or need an adapter of some sort?

I would greatly appreciate any information you may have.