Settings won't hold!!

undyingdarkness

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
First of all i would like to say hi to the Tom's Hardware crew, the members of this site have helped me quite a lot in all forms of tricky situations, and as such i have signed up and my first thread begins.

The E6750 is a 2.66ghz processor and without altering the voltages at all and with air cooling i have had it up to 3.6ghz so far and no problems at all. Rebooting the system causes no problems to the OCed settings, but leaving the system off for about 5 to 10 mins, and then booting causes all OCed settings to be restored back to default.

The system will boot for a moment then before anything actually displays on the monitor you can hear it boot up again and all settings DEFAULT!! At the moment its overclocked to 3ghz and it runs perfect after a few weeks but i would like to go higher. Is it some form of soft/cold boot or must i lift the voltages?

Just don't understand the fact that if you don't leave comp off it can run Crysis or HalfLife or anything else with no problems at 3.6ghz all day.

Please help!!???

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I don't know if I've seen a stable E67xx over 3.4GHz.

Depending on weather or not you are monitoring temps correctly and what they are, I would probably leave it ~3.2GHz and just shoot higher for benchmarks and bragging rights.

Just my 3 cents. :sol:

undyingdarkness

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I've found that speedfan seems to register my temps at like 10c to higher than the bios, I prefer a tool named PC Wizard which seems to give more stable readings of temp for my CPU and GPU.

As far as i have researched my board and chip I would think that they would be able to clock higher than that. You have a E2160 @ 3.2GHz and thats a bit of a jump isn't it? My CPU idles at about 32 and playing games its at around 40 from memory.

It seems to work perfect at 3.6ghz just won't hold after a while turned off. CONFUSING.

Thanks for the reply tho Dunkel.

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
If you aren't going to calibrate speedfan, (there is a sticky around hear that tells you how) I would recommend the program called CoreTemp.

Not all chips have the same OC potential just keep an eye on your temps.

Good job on yours.