Does anyone know how I can erase my whole hard disk?

ispy

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
First off, I had two partitions - one for games and one for everything else, including os (stupid idea)

I re-installed vista, but all the info on my hard drive was still there.

I download killdisk and it erased the game partition, but I didnt do anything to the other partition, which is local disk c: (and stores the o/s). How can i get rid of the o/s and all the stuff on c drive permantely?

Gonna re-install vista later.

I have OEM version of vista, so I dont have a recovery CD - just the installation cd for vista.

I tried re-intalling vista, but it didnt give me a chance to format my drives.

So, can anyone help me with this? Basically I want to return my hard drive to the state it was before I installed it in my computer.

Thanks! :pt1cable:

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
When installing vista, you have a chance where to install. There is an advanced drop-down option that will allow for formatting entire drive.

crowheart27us

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Ok this might help you. on the start menu right click on computer and select manage. on the right side of the screen look for disk management,click it. it shoud show a bar graph of your hard drives and partitions. right click on the drive that says d:(if thats where your games are stored). i believe you can delete the volume(partition) trhen after right click on your c: drive and click on extend volume. choose the max space you want to extend it by. that should make it into one volume.(partition)

ispy

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
nope, my d drive is "35 mb CDFS (primary partition)"

total hard drive space is 500 gb

c drive is 232 gb
unallocated drive is 232 gb
d drive is 35mb

and crowheart, i want to delete everything on the drive, all the partitions nad everything

crowheart27us

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
if thats the case just follow paq7512 instructions. when reinstalling your os it will give you an option to where you want to install vista. go under advanced options. you then can delete all your partitions then create a single partion out of the unallocated space. if your reinstalling straight from windows you wont be able to do it. you'll have to boot from your vista disk when you restart your pc.
good luck
do you have an upgrade or full version of vista?

ispy

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I have full version of vista x64. how do i boot from vista disk?

I went into the BIOS and selected boot from CD. When the computer boots though, it says "press any key to boot from cd". I have a wireless keyboard, and it doesnt work until windows loads. SO how can i boot from my windows disk?

crowheart27us

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Because the drivers cant load for the wireless keyboard you'll need to get a cheap one like rogue said. you could get one from newegg for about $4 bucks but with shipping it'll come out to about $12. just go to wal-mart and grab the cheapest keyboard they got. if its a usb one, make sure you enable that option in your bios.

gogster2k

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
If you pc is fairly new, you could also enable LEGACY USB in the BIOS, so your wireless keyboard would work all the time.

ispy

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Ok, I managed to enable legacy usb, so i can use my mouse and keyboard in BIOS.

When I try formatting my hard drive, though, it gives me the message "0x80070057" and it cant format it!

why@!@!#!@!@$!