Is 350w psu ok enough for a new build without gfx?

thewalrusking

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2003
My current pc is on its last legs, so I will be building a new system. Is my current Antec (forget exact model but its decent) psu rated at 350 watts ok for a c2duo 6750, with a basic mb, and basic ram, if im running an old pci gfx card !Temporarily! of course till i can get a 8800gt (then id need a new psu obviously)? I do have a few fans, and 3 hds, and 1 optical disc drive. I havent built a pc in awhile so I am rusty with all the 20/24 pin connections, the psu was bought in 2004, so does it even connect to a brand new mb? It is just that Id rather buy a new psu when i buy the gfx to save some money. otherwise ill have to wait even longer for the new build. thank u.

jumpman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
take a look at this PSU wattage calculator; http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. also, you should realize that the amperage on the 12 volt rails is actually more important than the overall wattage of the PSU. i could be wrong with this last part, but i believe if you are running a modern video card then you should have at least 24amps on the 12 volt rail.