Deleting Certain Files

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Hi, I have several files on my hard drive that i would like to get rid of,
but not sure I can, or if it's wise to. Some would come back as they are
put there by certain programs. Like pspbrwse.jbf, by Paint Shop Pro
Picasa.ini, by Picasa, Desktop.ini (I think windows puts this one there)
and hpothb07.dat the latter is put there by my printer. Also Thumbs.db. Is
it possible to mass delete some of these by seaching for them, highlighting
and deleting them? Thanks for any responses.. Rainy

Malke

Rainy wrote:

> Hi, I have several files on my hard drive that i would like to get
> rid of,
> but not sure I can, or if it's wise to. Some would come back as they
> are
> put there by certain programs. Like pspbrwse.jbf, by Paint Shop Pro
> Picasa.ini, by Picasa, Desktop.ini (I think windows puts this one
> there)
> and hpothb07.dat the latter is put there by my printer. Also
> Thumbs.db. Is it possible to mass delete some of these by seaching for
> them, highlighting
> and deleting them? Thanks for any responses.. Rainy

Why do you want to delete them? There is no reason to delete them. You
should leave well enough alone.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Hi.. thanks for the response. Because when I backup files.. I always get
the prompt if I want to copy those files.. over and over again.. it's
annoying...and if I don't have a need for them.. why not delete them.. ?
Does it hurt my computer to delete them? I suppose it's not real important
to delete them.. just an annoyance for me to have them.. thanks anyway
Rainy
> Rainy wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have several files on my hard drive that i would like to get
>> rid of,
>> but not sure I can, or if it's wise to. Some would come back as they
>> are
>> put there by certain programs. Like pspbrwse.jbf, by Paint Shop Pro
>> Picasa.ini, by Picasa, Desktop.ini (I think windows puts this one
>> there)
>> and hpothb07.dat the latter is put there by my printer. Also
>> Thumbs.db. Is it possible to mass delete some of these by seaching for
>> them, highlighting
>> and deleting them? Thanks for any responses.. Rainy
>
> Why do you want to delete them? There is no reason to delete them. You
> should leave well enough alone.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Hi.. I found the solution

Apparently I had chosen to view hidden files, so I went to folder options
and made the choice to hide hidden files, and wha la, they are gone..
:)Rainy
"Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
> Hi.. thanks for the response. Because when I backup files.. I always get
> the prompt if I want to copy those files.. over and over again.. it's
> annoying...and if I don't have a need for them.. why not delete them.. ?
> Does it hurt my computer to delete them? I suppose it's not real important
> to delete them.. just an annoyance for me to have them.. thanks anyway
> Rainy
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> Rainy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I have several files on my hard drive that i would like to get
>>> rid of,
>>> but not sure I can, or if it's wise to. Some would come back as they
>>> are
>>> put there by certain programs. Like pspbrwse.jbf, by Paint Shop Pro
>>> Picasa.ini, by Picasa, Desktop.ini (I think windows puts this one
>>> there)
>>> and hpothb07.dat the latter is put there by my printer. Also
>>> Thumbs.db. Is it possible to mass delete some of these by seaching for
>>> them, highlighting
>>> and deleting them? Thanks for any responses.. Rainy
>>
>> Why do you want to delete them? There is no reason to delete them. You
>> should leave well enough alone.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Rainy wrote:

> Hi.. I found the solution
>
> Apparently I had chosen to view hidden files, so I went to folder
> options and made the choice to hide hidden files, and wha la, they are
> gone..

Glad you figured it out. Of course the files aren't gone, but you won't
have the backup errors any more. You shouldn't delete system files
because your Windows installation will probably not work correctly.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com