i just installed windows 7 today
my system spec is:
psu: 300w
e7200
5670hd ati
500gb samsung spinpoint f3
120gb old hdd
p5k se epu motherboard
4gb ddr2 800 ( 2 gbs from kinstone, 2x1gb kingmax )

it just freezes when i dl
i first thought that the psu is not enough, but my old system was with a pentium D and i think that consumed more though and i didnt have any problems
the gadget on the desktop indicated <5% use of cpu and ~20% use of ram when i last monitored it

i havent made any updates to windows or motherboard ( the support cd is not supported by the win 7 )
i updated only the graphic card

does anyone have any ideeas?

happymatei

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
+ also, in case it helps

i ve left the old 120 gb hdd untouched and just made 3 additional partitions from the 500gb one

i installed win 7 on one of the new partitions, to have dual boot
and the hdd i am running the applications is the 500 gb ( win 7 using it, dl files to it )

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The 300w PSU is indeed way too small for your long-term needs. I suggest you start thinking about a quality (500w +) PSU such as a Seasonic to better serve you in the future. BTW, PSUs do wear out and break down over time.

Are you attempting to overclock anything? Also, how are you connected to the internet?

happymatei

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
no OC, yes i m connected to the internet

i thought since the pentium D has around twice the consumption in full load than e7200, that i will be fine ( i ran the pentium D to full load several times playing high ress games )

i will change the PSU, but i cant now, my budget was spent on the 2gb Kingstone and the 500gb samsung

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Could also be an issue with your ethernet controller (due to insufficient power). You could try disabling your on-board network adapter and installing a stand-alone network controller if you have access to one to see if that helps. You should also update your network drivers if you haven't done so lately.

Regardless, you really do need a stronger PSU for long-term stability.

happymatei

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
no
never had one either
all my motherboards had them integrated

if its a psu problem, why dont i have it when the pc is actually doing something hard like gaming?

it freezes when its almost like idle
i am 100% sure my last setup ( with the pentium D had way more consumption, since it always made the PSU run much harder - i enabled the psu to work harder when its needed )

checkdisc didnt find any errors

i m currently running hd tune to check for bads

happymatei

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
ok, i did all of them
ps: was downgrading the driver an intention?

should i stop the hd tune scan and try to dl something bigger to see if i still have the problem? or wait for it to finish?
i m afraid i won't catch u here later and by the looks of it, the scan will last around one more hour

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is a good recommendation.

Regarding the earlier question about why other stuff works properly, power issues can have some very odd negative impacts that can be very difficult to resolve. Without a solid power foundation to work from, it can be next to impossible to figure out what is going on.

That being said, if the on-board network adapter has become defective, you are going to have to change to alternate means to connect to the net. I would suggest you check with a friend where you live to see if anyone has an adapter you can borrow for troubleshooting is area51reopen's suggestion doesn't solve the problem.

happymatei

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
i did exactly what you told me

and it worked! thanks a lot!
i really really appreciate your time helping me

i m just curious now, what was wrong?
was my driver bad? because i didnt install any drivers for the motherboard, i m afraid now that i might get into trouble with the other drivers too and should install them manually

i m dl-ing many items atm, trying to put stress on the pc and bandwith and see what happens

again, MANY THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.