Is it worth it?

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I currently run a Pentium D 940 (3.2ghz), on an intel MB, with 2Gb of 667mhz ram, and an EVGA 7900GS KO video card, for gaming. Recently I've noticed the price has dropped on the Allendale, core2 duo's,( which is all my board will support, limited to 800Mhz FSB). My wife said she would by me the e4500 for Christmas, but is it a worth while upgrade? The e4500 isnt on Toms CPU comparison charts, so I wasnt sure how it would compare to the Pentium D. Also, would this improve gaming performance, mainly FPS, like CoD4, DoD source, and such, or am I already bottenecked by my video card? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also, at this time, due to Motherboard limitations I will not be overclocking.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Pentium D 8xx and 9xx don't really compare to the e2xxx, 4xxx, or 6xxx. You should see a considerable gain, especially if you OC. I think the E2180's can even OC safely to 3.0Ghz and they're really cheap. It's sad to see that you can't OC though. : /

It is more likely that your CPU is the bottleneck to your GPU at this time. You may, depending on your resolution and what settings you play your games at, see a 10-20 FPS difference. Maybe more if you're lucky. If you upgraded your video card and kept that PD 9xx in, you would most likely be disappointed. If you can some how can get a new CPU (which would be tough for you because of your FSB limitations... :( )and an 8800GT 256MB (~$200) or a 3850 (~$160) - I think you would be pretty happy with the results.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Thanks, this is just a first move in an upgrading process. I hope to get a different motherboard in 6 months or so, that will allow overclocking, and then, the eventual upgrade to a better processor, and graphics card. I'll stick with the 7900 til the next round of new graphics cards is out

turd_ferguson_23

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
If you plan on upgrading your motherboard in 6 months I wouldn't bother getting too great of a dual core processor. Stick with whatever is cheapest, you'll still notice a considerable difference and then when it comes time for you to upgrade your mobo you can choose some nice hardware at that point. There's a lot of next gen components coming out at the beginning of this next year so all of the hardware that's out now will go down in price as well.